1. What’s mebendazole
Mebendazole is a kind of medication for treating worms. It’s used primarily for infections of the intestine corresponding to threadworms (generally referred to as pinworms) and different much less widespread worm infections (whipworm, roundworm and hookworm).
You should purchase mebendazole from a pharmacy. It is also obtainable on prescription. It comes as chewable tablets or a liquid that you simply swallow.
2. Informations clés
- Mebendazole is often taken as a single dose, however it may be taken for round 3 days for some infections.
- The most typical facet impact is abdomen ache.
- You should purchase mebendazole from a pharmacy for adults and kids from the age of two years.
- For youngsters between 6 months and a couple of years previous, it is just obtainable on prescription.
- Widespread model names embrace Vermox and Ovex.
3. Who can and can’t take mebendazole
Adults and kids from the age of two years previous can take mebendazole. Youthful youngsters between the ages of 6 months and a couple of years should be prescribed this medication by a health care provider.
Mebendazole isn’t appropriate for some individuals. To verify this medication is protected for you, inform a pharmacist or physician if you happen to:
- have had an allergic response to mebendazole or another medication prior to now
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
4. Comment et quand le prendre
Mebendazole comes as a banana-flavoured liquid and orange-flavoured tablets that may be chewed or swallowed complete.
How a lot ought to I take?
- A physician or pharmacist will let you know how a lot you need to take relying on the kind of worms you might have.
- At all times comply with the directions that include your medication.
- When you’ve got threadworms (additionally known as pinworms) you’ll often take a single dose. For those who stay with anybody else, they are going to should be handled on the identical time as a result of threadworms can unfold simply.
- A physician or pharmacist might recommend you repeat the dose after 2 weeks to stop you from getting them once more. It’s because the medication kills the worms however not their eggs.
- For different worms corresponding to whipworm, roundworm and hookworm, comply with a docs’ directions on learn how to take mebendazole. Normally you could take a dose 2 instances a day for 3 days.
Find out how to take it
The pill will be chewed or swallowed complete with a glass of water, juice or milk. You possibly can take it with or with out meals.
The liquid comes with a spoon to measure it. If you do not have a spoon, ask your pharmacist for one. Don’t use a kitchen teaspoon because it will not provide the correct amount.
What if I neglect to take it?
In case you are taking mebendazole 2 instances a day and you’ve got missed a dose, take it as quickly as you bear in mind. Nonetheless, if you happen to bear in mind greater than 4 hours after your dose was due, skip the missed dose and simply take your subsequent dose as regular. Don’t take a double dose to make up for a forgotten one.
What if I take an excessive amount of?
Taking an additional dose of mebendazole accidentally is unlikely to trigger any hurt.
Nonetheless, chances are you’ll get unwanted side effects corresponding to:
- abdomen cramps
- feeling or being sick (nausea or vomiting)
Communicate to a health care provider if you happen to’re fearful, have unwanted side effects otherwise you take greater than 1 dose.
Pressing recommendation: Name 111 for recommendation now if:
- your youngster is below 2 years previous and takes an additional dose of mebendazole
5. Negative effects
Like all medicines, mebendazole may cause unwanted side effects, though not everybody will get them.
Widespread unwanted side effects
These unwanted side effects occur in additional than 1 in 100 individuals.
Speak to a health care provider or pharmacist if these unwanted side effects hassle you or final quite a lot of days:
- abdomen ache
- abdomen discomfort together with bloating and wind
Effets secondaires indésirables critiques
Cease taking mebendazole and name a health care provider right away when you’ve got:
- blisters in your pores and skin, mouth, eyes or genitals
- yellow pores and skin or the whites of your eyes flip yellow – these will be indicators of liver issues
Speedy motion required: Name 999 or go to A&E if:
- you or your youngster has a match or seizure
Réponse allergique critique
It occurs hardly ever however it’s potential to have a critical allergic response (anaphylaxis) to mebendazole.
Speedy motion required: Name 999 or go to A&E if:
- you get a pores and skin rash that will embrace itchy, pink, swollen, blistered or peeling pores and skin
- vous sifflez
- vous ressentez une sensation d'oppression dans la poitrine ou la gorge
- you might have hassle respiration or speaking
- votre bouche, votre visage, vos lèvres, votre langue ou votre gorge commencent à gonfler
You may be having a critical allergic response and might have speedy remedy in hospital.
These aren’t all of the unwanted side effects of mebendazole. For a full listing see the leaflet inside your medicines packet.
6. Comment gérer les effets secondaires indésirables
What to do What’s:
- abdomen ache – attempt to relaxation. It will probably assist to eat and drink slowly and have smaller and extra frequent meals. Putting a warmth pad or coated sizzling water bottle in your abdomen might also assist. In case you are in a number of ache, communicate to a health care provider or pharmacist.
- abdomen discomfort together with wind – persist with easy meals and keep away from wealthy or spicy meals. It’d assist to take mebendazole after you’ve eaten to see if that helps ease the signs.
- diarrhoea – drink loads of water or different fluids to keep away from dehydration. Indicators of dehydration embrace peeing lower than regular or having strong-smelling pee. Don’t take another medicines to deal with diarrhoea with out chatting with a pharmacist or physician first.
7. Être enceinte et allaiter
Mebendazole is not often really helpful for the remedy of threadworms throughout being pregnant or when breastfeeding. Nonetheless when you’ve got one other worm an infection corresponding to roundworm or hookworm, you need to communicate to a health care provider to debate the easiest way to deal with this.
For those who’re pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s often thought of higher to attempt to deal with threadworms with out taking a medication. It is vital to:
- wash your palms and scrub below your fingernails – significantly earlier than consuming, after utilizing the bathroom or after altering nappies
- bathe or bathe each morning
- rinse toothbrushes earlier than utilizing them
- maintain fingernails brief
- wash sleepwear, sheets and towels frequently
- disinfect kitchen and loo surfaces
- vacuum frequently and dirt utilizing a humid material
Discover out extra from BUMPS What’s how mebendazole can have an effect on you and your child throughout being pregnant.
Non-urgent recommendation: Speak to a pharmacist or physician if you happen to’re:
- making an attempt to get pregnant
- allaitement maternel
8. Précautions avec différents médicaments
Some medicines and mebendazole intrude with one another.
Examine with a pharmacist or physician if you happen to’re taking:
- metronidazole – a medication often used for bacterial or protozoan infections
- cimetidine – often used for extra abdomen acid
Mixing mebendazole with natural cures or dietary supplements.
There is perhaps an issue with taking some natural cures and dietary supplements along with mebendazole. Ask a pharmacist or physician for recommendation.
Inform a health care provider or pharmacist if you happen to’re taking another medicines, together with natural cures, nutritional vitamins or dietary supplements.
9. Widespread Questions
- Worms in people
- Healthunlocked: discussion board
- Comment ça marche?
Mebendazole kills worms that trigger intestine infections corresponding to threadworm (generally referred to as pinworm) and different much less widespread worm infections (whipworm, roundworm and hookworm). It really works by stopping the worms utilizing sugar (glucose). With out glucose, the cells of the worms lose their power provide and shortly die.
Mebendazole doesn’t kill the eggs of the worm. For this reason chances are you’ll have to take one other dose 2 weeks later to assist stop reinfection.
- Combien de temps faut-il pour travailler ?
The drugs ought to begin to work right away however it could take a number of days to kill all of the worms. It is necessary that you simply take the medication as a pharmacist or physician tells you. Don’t cease early when you’ve got been instructed to take it for a number of days.
Mebendazole doesn’t kill the worms’ eggs, and these may cause you to get worms once more and cross it on to different individuals. A physician or pharmacist might advise you to take mebendazole once more after 2 weeks, to cease the worms from coming again.
- Est-il protégé de prendre des doses répétées (si les vers continuent de revenir) ?
Mebendazole doesn’t kill the worms’ eggs, and these may cause re-infection and in addition infect different individuals. A physician or pharmacist might advise you to take mebendazole once more after 2 weeks, to stop re-infection. Nonetheless, if the an infection comes again, communicate to a health care provider for recommendation.
It’s also vital to have good private hygiene to cease the worms coming again. A physician or pharmacist might also advise that everybody in your home is handled with mebendazole.
- Puis-je boire de l'alcool avec ?
Bien sûr, vous pouvez éventuellement boire de l'alcool avec du mébendazole.
- Y a-t-il des repas ou des boissons que je dois éviter avec ce médicament ?
Vous pouvez manger et boire régulièrement tout en prenant du mébendazole. Vous devrez vous rappeler de frotter vos paumes et de frotter sous vos ongles avant de manger pour enlever les œufs.
- Cela aura-t-il un effet sur ma contraception ?
Mebendazole would not cease contraceptive capsules working, together with the mixed capsule and emergency contraception. But when mebendazole makes you sick or offers you extreme diarrhoea for greater than 24 hours, your contraceptive capsules might not shield you from being pregnant.
If this occurs, comply with the directions within the leaflet that comes along with your contraceptive capsules. Discover out what to do if you happen to’re on the capsule and also you’re sick or have diarrhoea.
- Cela aura-t-il un effet sur ma fertilité?
There is no agency proof to recommend that taking mebendazole will scale back fertility in both males or ladies. However communicate to a pharmacist or physician earlier than taking it if you happen to’re making an attempt to get pregnant.
- Puis-je conduire ou voyager en moto ?
Bien sûr. Le mébendazole ne devrait pas avoir d'effet sur votre capacité à conduire ou à faire du vélo.
- Y a-t-il des modifications du style de vie qui peuvent aider avec le ver filiforme ?
You will need to have good private hygiene to stop threadworms from coming again, particularly in infants and kids below 2 years of age. It is vital to:
-wash your palms and scrub below your fingernails – significantly earlier than consuming, after utilizing the bathroom or altering nappies
-encourage youngsters to scrub their palms frequently
-bathe or bathe each morning
-rinse toothbrushes earlier than utilizing them
-maintain fingernails brief
-wash sleepwear, sheets and towels frequently
-disinfect kitchen and loo surfaces
-vacuum rgularly and dirt utilizing a humid material
-ensure that youngsters put on underwear at night time – change it within the morning