1. About amitriptyline for despair
Amitriptyline is an antidepressant medication. It is used to deal with low temper and despair. This medication is barely accessible on prescription. It comes as tablets and as a liquid.
Amitriptyline can be used for some varieties of ache and to stop migraines. Examine amitriptyline for ache and migraines.
2. Gwybodaeth allweddol
- It will possibly take 4 to six weeks for amitriptyline to work.
- Unintended effects resembling a dry mouth and constipation are widespread. They’re often delicate and go away after a few weeks.
- Amitriptyline could make you are feeling sleepy so it is best to take it within the night or earlier than you go to mattress.
- When you and your physician determine to take you off amitriptyline, your physician will most likely suggest decreasing your dose steadily to assist stop additional unwanted side effects.
- Amitriptyline is an antidepressant, however at decrease doses it is also excellent for treating ache and migraine.
3. Who can and can’t take amitriptyline
Amitriptyline will be taken by most adults. It will also be taken by youngsters aged 16 to 17 years for despair or low temper.
Examine together with your physician earlier than beginning to take amitriptyline in the event you:
- have had an allergic response to amitriptyline or another medication prior to now
- have a coronary heart drawback – amitriptyline could make some coronary heart issues worse
- have a uncommon sickness referred to as porphyria
- have liver or kidney issues
- have epilepsy or are having electroconvulsive remedy – amitriptyline might enhance your threat of getting a seizure
- have ever taken another medicines for despair – some rarely-used antidepressants can intrude with amitriptyline
- are attempting to turn into pregnant, are already pregnant or you might be breastfeeding
- have an eye fixed drawback referred to as glaucoma – amitriptyline can enhance the stress in your eye
- have ideas about harming your self or ending your life
In case you have diabetes, amitriptyline could make it harder to maintain your blood sugar steady. Monitor your blood sugar extra typically for the primary few weeks of remedy with amitriptyline and regulate your diabetes remedy if needed. Communicate to your physician in case your blood sugar ranges are inflicting you concern.
4. Sut a phryd i'w gymryd
It is typical to take amitriptyline as soon as a day earlier than bedtime as a result of it may make you are feeling sleepy. When you discover that you’re nonetheless feeling drowsy within the morning you could possibly strive taking it earlier within the night.
Generally, whenever you’re simply beginning remedy, chances are you’ll be advised to take a decrease dose 2 or 3 instances a day till you get used to the medication. It’s because taking a smaller dose 2 or 3 instances a day for some time can cut back the prospect of you having unwanted side effects.
Amitriptyline would not often upset the abdomen so you may take it with or with out meals. Swallow the pill with a drink of water. When you chew it, it tastes bitter.
How a lot will I take?
- Amitriptyline tablets come in numerous strengths of 10mg, 25mg or 50mg.
- Amitriptyline liquid is available in 3 totally different strengths containing 10mg, 25mg or 50mg of amitriptyline in a 5ml spoonful.
- The standard dose of amitriptyline for despair in adults is 50mg to 100mg a day. This will likely go as much as 150mg to 200mg a day in the event you want a stronger dose, however solely below the supervision of a hospital specialist.
- Youngsters aged 16 to 17 years and older folks generally begin on a decrease dose of 25mg to 50mg a day to cut back the prospect of unwanted side effects.
- The utmost dose of amitriptyline is 200mg per day.
What if I overlook to take it?
- When you take amitriptyline as soon as a day and overlook a dose, don’t fret. Take your subsequent dose the subsequent day on the typical time.
- When you take amitriptyline 2 or 3 instances a day and overlook a dose, take it as quickly as you concentrate on it except it is near the time in your subsequent dose.
- By no means take 2 doses on the identical time to make up for a forgotten dose.
- When you typically overlook doses, it could assist to set an alarm to remind you. You may additionally ask your pharmacist for recommendation on different methods that can assist you keep in mind to take your medication.
What if I take an excessive amount of?
The quantity of amitriptyline that may result in an overdose varies from individual to individual.
Pressing recommendation: Name your physician right away if:
You’ve got taken an excessive amount of amitriptyline by chance and expertise signs resembling:
- feeling agitated
- being sick (vomiting)
- quick coronary heart fee
- suits (seizures)
If you want to go to a A&E don’t drive your self – get another person to drive you or name for an ambulance.
Take the amitriptyline packet, or the leaflet inside it, plus any remaining medication with you.
5. Effeithiau anfwriadol
Like all medicines, amitriptyline could cause unwanted side effects in some folks, however many individuals don’t have any unwanted side effects or solely minor ones. A few of the widespread unwanted side effects of amitriptyline will steadily enhance as your physique will get used to it.
Frequent unwanted side effects
Preserve taking the medication however speak to your physician or pharmacist if these widespread unwanted side effects hassle you or do not go away:
- dry mouth
- feeling sleepy, drained or weak
- issue peeing
Sgîl-effeithiau critigol diangen
It occurs hardly ever, however some folks have a severe aspect impact after taking amitriptyline.
Name a health care provider right away in the event you get:
- a quick or irregular heartbeat
- yellow pores and skin, or the whites of your eyes go yellow – these will be indicators of a liver drawback
- fixed complications, lengthy lasting confusion or weak point, frequent muscle cramps – these can all be indicators of low sodium ranges in your blood. In extreme circumstances low sodium ranges can result in seizures
- ideas about harming your self or ending your life
- eye ache, a change in your eyesight, swelling or redness in or across the eye
- extreme constipation otherwise you’re unable to pee and it is inflicting extreme abdomen ache
Name 999 right away in the event you expertise:
- weak point on one aspect of your physique
- bother talking or considering
- lack of stability or blurred eyesight
- These will be indicators of a stroke. When you suspect that you just or another person is having a stroke, telephone 999 instantly and ask for an ambulance.
Ymateb alergaidd critigol
In uncommon circumstances, it is doable to have a severe allergic response (anaphylaxis) to amitriptyline.
Angen cynnig cyflym:
byddwch yn cael mandyllau a brech ar y croen a fydd yn cofleidio mandyllau a chroen coslyd, rhuddgoch, chwyddedig, pothellu neu blicio
- rydych chi'n gwichian
- rydych chi'n mynd yn dynn yn y frest neu'r gwddf
- rydych chi wedi trafferthu anadlu neu siarad
- eich ceg, wyneb, gwefusau, tafod neu wddf yn dechrau chwyddo
- Efallai eich bod yn cael adwaith alergaidd difrifol ac efallai y cewch feddyginiaeth gyflym yn yr ysbyty.
- These should not all of the unwanted side effects of amitriptyline. For a full record see the leaflet inside your medicines packet.
- You possibly can report any suspected aspect impact utilizing the Yellow Card security scheme.
- Go to Yellow Card for additional data.
6. Sut i ddelio â sgil-effeithiau diangen
Beth i'w wneud am:
- constipation – eat extra high-fibre meals resembling recent fruit and greens and cereals. Attempt to drink a number of glasses of water or one other non-alcoholic liquid every single day. When you can, it could additionally assist to do some train. Watch a brief video on methods to deal with constipation.
- feeling dizzy – that is most likely on account of low blood stress. Drink loads of water or different non-alcoholic drinks. Don’t arise too shortly after sitting or mendacity down.
- dry mouth – chew sugar-free gum or sugar-free sweets.
- feeling sleepy or drained – take amitriptyline within the night and minimize down the quantity of alcohol you drink. Don’t drive or use instruments or equipment in the event you’re feeling sleepy. If this does not assist, speak to your physician.
- issue peeing – loosen up whenever you attempt to pee. Don’t attempt to power the movement of urine. If it would not occur, strive once more later. Speak to your physician urgently if you cannot pee in any respect.
- complications – ensure you relaxation and drink loads of fluids. Don’t drink an excessive amount of alcohol. Speak to your physician if the complications last more than every week or are extreme.
7. Bod yn feichiog a bwydo ar y fron
It is vital for you and your child that you just keep effectively throughout your being pregnant. When you turn into pregnant whereas taking amitriptyline communicate to your physician. Don’t cease taking your medication except your physician tells you to.
Amitriptyline has been linked to a really small elevated threat of issues in your unborn child. Nonetheless in case your despair just isn’t handled throughout being pregnant this will additionally enhance the prospect of issues.
Chances are you’ll must take amitriptyline throughout being pregnant in the event you want it to stay effectively. Your physician can clarify the dangers and the advantages, and can show you how to determine which remedy is finest for you and your child.
For extra details about how amitriptyline can have an effect on you and your child throughout being pregnant, go to the Greatest Use of Medicines in Being pregnant (BUMPS) web site.
Amitriptyline and breastfeeding
- In case your physician or well being customer says your child is wholesome, amitriptyline can be utilized throughout breastfeeding.
- Amitriptyline passes into breast milk in very small quantities. It is unlikely to trigger any hurt to your child.
- It is very important proceed taking amitriptyline to maintain you effectively. Breastfeeding may also profit each you and your child.
- When you discover that your child is not feeding in addition to typical, or appears unusually sleepy, or in case you have another considerations about your child, then speak to your well being customer or physician as quickly as doable.
Non-urgent recommendation: Inform your physician in the event you’re:
- ceisio beichiogi
- bwydo ar y fron
8. Rhybuddion gyda gwahanol feddyginiaethau
Many medicines and amitriptyline can intrude with one another and enhance the probabilities of unwanted side effects.
Inform your physician in case you have ever taken another medicines for despair. Some rarely-used antidepressants can intrude with amitriptyline to trigger very hypertension even after you’ve stopped taking them.
Guarantee that your physician and pharmacist know you are taking amitriptyline earlier than beginning or stopping another medication.
Mixing amitriptyline with natural treatments and dietary supplements
Don’t take St John’s wort, a natural treatment for despair, whilst you’re taking amitriptyline as this may enhance your threat of unwanted side effects.
Necessary: Medication security
Inform your physician or pharmacist in the event you’re taking another medicines, together with natural medicines, nutritional vitamins or dietary supplements.
9. Cwestiynau mynych
Sut mae amitriptyline yn gweithio mewn anobaith?
Amitriptyline is from a gaggle of antidepressants referred to as tricyclic antidepressants. It is thought to work by rising ranges of a chemical referred to as serotonin within the mind. This will enhance your temper.
Pryd fydda i wir yn teimlo'n uwch?
You might even see an enchancment in your signs after a few weeks, though it often takes between 4 and 6 weeks earlier than you are feeling the complete advantages. Don’t cease taking amitriptyline after 1 or 2 weeks simply since you really feel it isn’t serving to your signs. Give the medication a minimum of 6 weeks to work.
Sut bydd yn gwneud i mi deimlo mewn gwirionedd?
Antidepressants like amitriptyline assist to steadily carry your temper so you are feeling higher. Chances are you’ll discover that you just sleep higher and get on with folks extra simply since you’re much less anxious. Hopefully you may take little issues that used to fret you in your stride.
Amitriptyline will not change your persona or make you are feeling euphorically glad. It can merely show you how to really feel like your self once more.
Do not count on to really feel higher in a single day although. Some folks really feel worse through the first few weeks of remedy earlier than they start to really feel higher.
Pa mor hir y byddaf yn ei gymryd?
As soon as you feel higher it is doubtless that you’ll proceed to take amitriptyline for a number of extra months. Most medical doctors suggest that you just take antidepressants for six months to a 12 months after you have stopped feeling depressed. Stopping earlier than then could make despair come again.
Speak to your physician in regards to the professionals and cons of continuous to take amitriptyline for longer than a couple of months. It can rely on how unhealthy your signs are, whether or not it is a one-off drawback or one which retains coming again, how effectively amitriptyline works for you and whether or not you have had any unhealthy unwanted side effects.
A yw'n ddiogel i'w gymryd am amser hir iawn?
Amitriptyline is secure to take for a very long time. There aren’t any lasting dangerous results from taking it for a lot of months or years.
A yw'n gaethiwus?
Nid yw amitriptyline yn gaethiwus, fodd bynnag, efallai y byddwch chi'n cael sgîl-effeithiau diangen ychwanegol os byddwch chi'n rhoi'r gorau i'w gymryd yn sydyn.
Sut mae dod oddi ar amitriptyline?
When you’ve been feeling higher for six months or extra, your physician might recommend coming off amitriptyline. Your physician will most likely suggest decreasing your dose steadily over a number of weeks – or longer, in case you have been taking amitriptyline for a very long time.
That is to assist stop any additional unwanted side effects you may get as a response to coming off the medication. These embrace:
-numbness or tingling within the palms or ft
-feeling agitated or anxious
A fyddaf yn caffael neu ollwng rhywfaint o bwysau?
Amitriptyline can change how hungry you are feeling. Some folks really feel extra hungry after they’re taking it – others really feel much less hungry. So your weight might change whenever you first begin taking it.
When you begin to have issues together with your weight whereas taking amitriptyline, speak to your physician or pharmacist.
A allaf yrru neu deithio ar feic modur?
Some folks really feel sleepy whereas they’re taking amitriptyline. It is perhaps finest to cease driving and biking for the primary few days of remedy till you understand how this medication makes you are feeling.
A yw amitriptyline yn uwch na gwahanol gyffuriau gwrth-iselder?
Amitriptyline would not work any higher or worse than different antidepressants. Nonetheless, for some folks, the unwanted side effects are an issue they usually might have fewer unwanted side effects with one other antidepressant. Generally folks reply higher to at least one antidepressant than to a different.
Speak to your physician in the event you aren’t feeling any higher after taking amitriptyline for six weeks or if the unwanted side effects are nonetheless an issue.
A oes gwahanol feddyginiaethau a all fod o gymorth?
Antidepressants, together with amitriptyline, are simply considered one of a number of approaches to treating despair. Different potential remedies embrace:
-speaking remedy (resembling cognitive behavioural remedy (CBT))
-assist to get a very good evening’s sleep
-Selecting a remedy that is best suited for you will depend on:
-how lengthy you have had despair
-whether or not you have had despair earlier than
-whether or not earlier remedy has labored
-how doubtless you might be to stay together with your remedy
-the potential unwanted side effects
-your preferences and priorities
A allaf yfed alcohol ag ef?
You possibly can drink alcohol whereas taking amitriptyline however it could make you are feeling sleepy. It is perhaps finest to cease ingesting alcohol till you see how the medication makes you are feeling.
A oes unrhyw brydau neu ddiod y mae'n rhaid i mi gadw draw ohonynt?
Mae'n bosibl y gallwch chi fwyta ac yfed fel arfer tra'n cymryd amitriptyline.
A fydd yn cael effaith ar fy atal cenhedlu?
Amitriptyline doesn’t have an effect on any kind of contraception, together with the mixed capsule and emergency contraception.
A fydd yn cael effaith ar fy mywyd cyfathrach rywiol?
The great results of amitriptyline might, after some time, enhance your intercourse life as your temper lifts and also you turn into involved in life and relationships once more.
A few of the doable damaging results embrace:
-males having issues with getting an erection and issues ejaculating
-girls having some vaginal bleeding
-each women and men having breast swelling
Sexual unwanted side effects should not widespread and will cross after the primary couple of weeks. If they do not, and this can be a drawback for you, return to your physician to see if there’s one other antidepressant you may strive.
When you’re a girl and also you get vaginal bleeding after the menopause, make an appointment to see your physician as quickly as doable.
A fydd yn cael effaith ar fy ffrwythlondeb?
There is not any agency proof to recommend that taking amitriptyline will cut back fertility in both males or girls.
Nonetheless, communicate to a pharmacist or your physician earlier than taking it in the event you’re attempting to get pregnant.
A fydd moddion hamdden yn cael effaith arno?
Hashish with amitriptyline can provide you a quick heartbeat. Hashish can even make drowsiness worse, particularly in the event you’ve simply began taking amitriptyline. Methadone can enhance the chance of unwanted side effects in the event you’re taking amitriptyline.
It may be probably harmful to take amitriptyline with: stimulants like MDMA (ecstasy) or cocaine hallucinogens like LSD novel psychoactive substances (which was once generally known as authorized highs) like mephedrone
- Don’t cease taking amitriptyline abruptly, or with out speaking to your physician first.
- Amitriptyline hasn’t been correctly examined with leisure medicine. Speak to your physician in the event you suppose you may use leisure medicine whereas taking amitriptyline.