1. About amitriptyline for despair
Amitriptyline is an antidepressant medication. It is used to deal with low temper and despair. This medication is barely accessible on prescription. It comes as tablets and as a liquid.
Amitriptyline can be used for some varieties of ache and to stop migraines. Examine amitriptyline for ache and migraines.
2. Gwybodaeth allweddol
- It will possibly take 4 to six weeks for amitriptyline to work.
- Unintended effects resembling a dry mouth and constipation are widespread. They’re often delicate and go away after a few weeks.
- Amitriptyline could make you are feeling sleepy so it is best to take it within the night or earlier than you go to mattress.
- When you and your physician determine to take you off amitriptyline, your physician will most likely suggest decreasing your dose steadily to assist stop additional unwanted side effects.
- Amitriptyline is an antidepressant, however at decrease doses it is also excellent for treating ache and migraine.
3. Who can and can’t take amitriptyline
Amitriptyline will be taken by most adults. It will also be taken by youngsters aged 16 to 17 years for despair or low temper.
Examine together with your physician earlier than beginning to take amitriptyline in the event you:
- have had an allergic response to amitriptyline or another medication prior to now
- have a coronary heart drawback – amitriptyline could make some coronary heart issues worse
- have a uncommon sickness referred to as porphyria
- have liver or kidney issues
- have epilepsy or are having electroconvulsive remedy – amitriptyline might enhance your threat of getting a seizure
- have ever taken another medicines for despair – some rarely-used antidepressants can intrude with amitriptyline
- are attempting to turn into pregnant, are already pregnant or you might be breastfeeding
- have an eye fixed drawback referred to as glaucoma – amitriptyline can enhance the stress in your eye
- have ideas about harming your self or ending your life
In case you have diabetes, amitriptyline could make it harder to maintain your blood sugar steady. Monitor your blood sugar extra typically for the primary few weeks of remedy with amitriptyline and regulate your diabetes remedy if needed. Communicate to your physician in case your blood sugar ranges are inflicting you concern.
4. Sut a phryd i'w gymryd
It is typical to take amitriptyline as soon as a day earlier than bedtime as a result of it may make you are feeling sleepy. When you discover that you’re nonetheless feeling drowsy within the morning you could possibly strive taking it earlier within the night.
Generally, whenever you’re simply beginning remedy, chances are you’ll be advised to take a decrease dose 2 or 3 instances a day till you get used to the medication. It’s because taking a smaller dose 2 or 3 instances a day for some time can cut back the prospect of you having unwanted side effects.
Amitriptyline would not often upset the abdomen so you may take it with or with out meals. Swallow the pill with a drink of water. When you chew it, it tastes bitter.
How a lot will I take?
- Amitriptyline tablets come in numerous strengths of 10mg, 25mg or 50mg.
- Amitriptyline liquid is available in 3 totally different strengths containing 10mg, 25mg or 50mg of amitriptyline in a 5ml spoonful.
- The standard dose of amitriptyline for despair in adults is 50mg to 100mg a day. This will likely go as much as 150mg to 200mg a day in the event you want a stronger dose, however solely below the supervision of a hospital specialist.
- Youngsters aged 16 to 17 years and older folks generally begin on a decrease dose of 25mg to 50mg a day to cut back the prospect of unwanted side effects.
- The utmost dose of amitriptyline is 200mg per day.
What if I overlook to take it?
- When you take amitriptyline as soon as a day and overlook a dose, don’t fret. Take your subsequent dose the subsequent day on the typical time.
- When you take amitriptyline 2 or 3 instances a day and overlook a dose, take it as quickly as you concentrate on it except it is near the time in your subsequent dose.
- By no means take 2 doses on the identical time to make up for a forgotten dose.
- When you typically overlook doses, it could assist to set an alarm to remind you. You may additionally ask your pharmacist for recommendation on different methods that can assist you keep in mind to take your medication.
What if I take an excessive amount of?
The quantity of amitriptyline that may result in an overdose varies from individual to individual.
Pressing recommendation: Name your physician right away if:
You’ve got taken an excessive amount of amitriptyline by chance and expertise signs resembling:
- feeling agitated
- being sick (vomiting)
- quick coronary heart fee
- suits (seizures)
If you want to go to a A&E don’t drive your self – get another person to drive you or name for an ambulance.
Take the amitriptyline packet, or the leaflet inside it, plus any remaining medication with you.
5. Effeithiau anfwriadol
Like all medicines, amitriptyline could cause unwanted side effects in some folks, however many individuals don’t have any unwanted side effects or solely minor ones. A few of the widespread unwanted side effects of amitriptyline will steadily enhance as your physique will get used to it.
Frequent unwanted side effects
Preserve taking the medication however speak to your physician or pharmacist if these widespread unwanted side effects hassle you or do not go away:
- dry mouth
- feeling sleepy, drained or weak
- issue peeing
Sgîl-effeithiau critigol diangen
It occurs hardly ever, however some folks have a severe aspect impact after taking amitriptyline.
Name a health care provider right away in the event you get:
- a quick or irregular heartbeat
- yellow pores and skin, or the whites of your eyes go yellow – these will be indicators of a liver drawback
- fixed complications, lengthy lasting confusion or weak point, frequent muscle cramps – these can all be indicators of low sodium ranges in your blood. In extreme circumstances low sodium ranges can result in seizures
- ideas about harming your self or ending your life
- eye ache, a change in your eyesight, swelling or redness in or across the eye
- extreme constipation otherwise you’re unable to pee and it is inflicting extreme abdomen ache
Name 999 right away in the event you expertise:
- weak point on one aspect of your physique
- bother talking or considering
- lack of stability or blurred eyesight
- These will be indicators of a stroke. When you suspect that you just or another person is having a stroke, telephone 999 instantly and ask for an ambulance.
Ymateb alergaidd critigol
In uncommon circumstances, it is doable to have a severe allergic response (anaphylaxis) to amitriptyline.
Angen cynnig cyflym:
byddwch yn cael mandyllau a brech ar y croen a fydd yn cofleidio mandyllau a chroen coslyd, rhuddgoch, chwyddedig, pothellu neu blicio
- rydych chi'n gwichian
- rydych chi'n mynd yn dynn yn y frest neu'r gwddf
- rydych chi wedi trafferthu anadlu neu siarad
- eich ceg, wyneb, gwefusau, tafod neu wddf yn dechrau chwyddo
- Efallai eich bod yn cael adwaith alergaidd difrifol ac efallai y cewch feddyginiaeth gyflym yn yr ysbyty.
- These should not all of the unwanted side effects of amitriptyline. For a full record see the leaflet inside your medicines packet.
- You possibly can report any suspected aspect impact utilizing the Yellow Card security scheme.
- Go to Yellow Card for additional data.
6. Sut i ddelio â sgil-effeithiau diangen
Beth i'w wneud am:
- constipation – eat extra high-fibre meals resembling recent fruit and greens and cereals. Attempt to drink a number of glasses of water or one other non-alcoholic liquid every single day. When you can, it could additionally assist to do some train. Watch a brief video on methods to deal with constipation.
- feeling dizzy – that is most likely on account of low blood stress. Drink loads of water or different non-alcoholic drinks. Don’t arise too shortly after sitting or mendacity down.
- dry mouth – chew sugar-free gum or sugar-free sweets.
- feeling sleepy or drained – take amitriptyline within the night and minimize down the quantity of alcohol you drink. Don’t drive or use instruments or equipment in the event you’re feeling sleepy. If this does not assist, speak to your physician.
- issue peeing – loosen up whenever you attempt to pee. Don’t attempt to power the movement of urine. If it would not occur, strive once more later. Speak to your physician urgently if you cannot pee in any respect.
- complications – ensure you relaxation and drink loads of fluids. Don’t drink an excessive amount of alcohol. Speak to your physician if the complications last more than every week or are extreme.
7. Bod yn feichiog a bwydo ar y fron
It is vital for you and your child that you just keep effectively throughout your being pregnant. When you turn into pregnant whereas taking amitriptyline communicate to your physician. Don’t cease taking your medication except your physician tells you to.
Amitriptyline has been linked to a really small elevated threat of issues in your unborn child. Nonetheless in case your despair just isn’t handled throughout being pregnant this will additionally enhance the prospect of issues.
Chances are you’ll must take amitriptyline throughout being pregnant in the event you want it to stay effectively. Your physician can clarify the dangers and the advantages, and can show you how to determine which remedy is finest for you and your child.
For extra details about how amitriptyline can have an effect on you and your child throughout being pregnant, go to the Greatest Use of Medicines in Being pregnant (BUMPS) web site.
Amitriptyline and breastfeeding
- In case your physician or well being customer says your child is wholesome, amitriptyline can be utilized throughout breastfeeding.
- Amitriptyline passes into breast milk in very small quantities. It is unlikely to trigger any hurt to your child.
- It is very important proceed taking amitriptyline to maintain you effectively. Breastfeeding may also profit each you and your child.
- When you discover that your child is not feeding in addition to typical, or appears unusually sleepy, or in case you have another considerations about your child, then speak to your well being customer or physician as quickly as doable.
Non-urgent recommendation: Inform your physician in the event you’re:
- ceisio beichiogi
- bwydo ar y fron
8. Rhybuddion gyda gwahanol feddyginiaethau
Many medicines and amitriptyline can intrude with one another and enhance the probabilities of unwanted side effects.
Inform your physician in case you have ever taken another medicines for despair. Some rarely-used antidepressants can intrude with amitriptyline to trigger very hypertension even after you’ve stopped taking them.
Guarantee that your physician and pharmacist know you are taking amitriptyline earlier than beginning or stopping another medication.
Mixing amitriptyline with natural treatments and dietary supplements
Don’t take St John’s wort, a natural treatment for despair, whilst you’re taking amitriptyline as this may enhance your threat of unwanted side effects.
Necessary: Medication security
Inform your physician or pharmacist in the event you’re taking another medicines, together with natural medicines, nutritional vitamins or dietary supplements.
9. Cwestiynau mynych
- Don’t cease taking amitriptyline abruptly, or with out speaking to your physician first.
- Amitriptyline hasn’t been correctly examined with leisure medicine. Speak to your physician in the event you suppose you may use leisure medicine whereas taking amitriptyline.