1. About amlodipine
Amlodipine is a medication used to deal with hypertension (hypertension). In case you have hypertension, taking amlodipine helps stop future coronary heart illness, coronary heart assaults and strokes.
Amlodipine can be used to stop chest ache attributable to coronary heart illness (angina). This medication is barely accessible on prescription. It comes as tablets or as a liquid to swallow.
2. Gwybodaeth allweddol
Amlodipine lowers your blood stress and makes it simpler in your coronary heart to pump blood round your physique.
It is typical to take amlodipine as soon as a day. You possibly can take it at any time of day, however strive to ensure it is across the identical time every day.
The most typical unwanted side effects embrace headache, flushing, feeling drained and swollen ankles. These often enhance after a couple of days.
Amlodipine will be referred to as amlodipine besilate, amlodipine maleate or amlodipine mesilate. It’s because the medication comprises one other chemical to make it simpler in your physique to take up and use it. It would not matter what your amlodipine is named. All of them work in addition to one another.
Amlodipine can be referred to as by the model names Istin and Amlostin.
3. Who can and can’t take amlodipine
Amlodipine will be taken by adults and youngsters aged 6 years and over. Amlodipine just isn’t appropriate for some folks.
To ensure amlodipine is secure for you, inform your physician in the event you:
- have had an allergic response to amlodipine or another medicines prior to now
- are attempting to get pregnant, are already pregnant otherwise you’re breastfeeding
- have liver or kidney illness
- have coronary heart failure or you’ve just lately had a coronary heart assault
4. Sut a phryd i'w gymryd
Take amlodipine precisely as your physician has advised you, and observe the instructions on the label. When you’re undecided, examine together with your physician or pharmacist.
It is typical to take amlodipine as soon as a day. You possibly can take amlodipine at any time of day, however strive to ensure it is across the identical time every single day.
How a lot to take
Amlodipine comes as 5mg and 10mg tablets. Relying on why you are taking amlodipine, the standard beginning dose is 5mg as soon as a day.
If the beginning dose is not working effectively sufficient (your blood stress would not decrease sufficient, or your angina is not managed), chances are you’ll want to extend your dose to 10mg.
To determine the proper dose for you in the long run, your physician will examine your blood stress to ensure it is not too excessive or too low. They’re going to additionally ask in the event you’re getting any unwanted side effects from the medication. Doses could also be decrease for kids.
How you can take it
- You possibly can take amlodipine with or with out meals.
- Swallow amlodipine tablets entire with a drink of water. If it is simpler, you may dissolve the tablets in a glass of water, however you should drink all of it right away in the event you do that.
- Don’t eat or drink a number of grapefruit or grapefruit juice whilst you’re taking this medication. Grapefruit can enhance the focus of amlodipine in your physique and worsen unwanted side effects.
- When you’re taking amlodipine as a liquid, it will include a plastic syringe or spoon that can assist you measure out the correct dose. If you do not have one, ask your pharmacist for one.
- Don’t use a kitchen teaspoon because it won’t give the correct quantity of medication.
- Don’t combine the liquid with meals or different drinks earlier than taking it.
Take amlodipine even in the event you really feel effectively, as you may nonetheless be getting the advantages of the medication.
What if I overlook to take it?
- When you overlook to take a dose of amlodipine, take it as quickly as you do not forget that day after which stick with it as regular.
- When you overlook to take the dose for the entire day, skip the missed dose and stick with it as regular the subsequent day.
- Don’t take a double dose to make up for a forgotten one.
- When you overlook doses typically, it could assist to set an alarm to remind you.
- You may additionally ask your pharmacist for recommendation on different methods that can assist you keep in mind to take your medication.
What if I take an excessive amount of?
When you take an excessive amount of amlodipine by chance, contact your physician or go to your nearest hospital right away. An overdose of amlodipine could cause dizziness and sleepiness. The quantity of amlodipine that may result in an overdose varies from individual to individual.
Pressing recommendation: Name your physician or go to A&E right away if:
- you’re taking an excessive amount of amlodipine
- If you want to go to an A&E, don’t drive your self. Get another person to drive you or name for an ambulance.
- Take the amlodipine packet or leaflet inside it, plus any remaining medication, with you.
5. Effeithiau anfwriadol
Like all medicines, amlodipine could cause unwanted side effects, though not everybody will get them.
Unintended effects typically enhance as your physique will get used to the medication.
Frequent unwanted side effects
These widespread unwanted side effects occur in additional than 1 in 100 folks. They’re often delicate and short-lived.
Speak to your physician or pharmacist if the unwanted side effects hassle you or final for various days:
- feeling dizzy
- a pounding heartbeat
- swollen ankles
Sgîl-effeithiau critigol diangen
Critical unwanted side effects after taking amlodipine are uncommon and occur in lower than 1 in 10,000 folks.
Name a health care provider right away in the event you get:
- abdomen issues – extreme ache in your abdomen, with or with out bloody diarrhoea, feeling sick and being sick (nausea and vomiting) will be indicators of pancreatitis
- yellow pores and skin or the whites of your eyes flip yellow – this generally is a signal of liver issues
- chest ache that is new or worse – this must be checked out as chest ache is a doable symptom of a coronary heart assault
Ymateb alergaidd critigol
In uncommon circumstances, it is doable to have a severe allergic response (anaphylaxis) to amlodipine.
Angen cynnig cyflym:
- byddwch yn cael mandyllau a brech ar y croen a fydd yn cofleidio mandyllau a chroen coslyd, rhuddgoch, chwyddedig, pothellu neu blicio
- rydych chi'n gwichian
- rydych chi'n mynd yn dynn yn y frest neu'r gwddf
- rydych chi wedi trafferthu anadlu neu siarad
- eich ceg, wyneb, gwefusau, tafod neu wddf yn dechrau chwyddo
- Efallai eich bod yn cael adwaith alergaidd difrifol ac efallai y cewch feddyginiaeth gyflym yn yr ysbyty.
- These aren’t all of the unwanted side effects of amlodipine.
For a full record, see the leaflet inside your medication packet.
You possibly can report any suspected aspect impact utilizing the Yellow Card security scheme.
Go to Yellow Card for additional data.
6. Sut i ddelio â sgil-effeithiau diangen
Beth i'w wneud am:
complications – ensure you relaxation and drink loads of fluids. Don’t drink an excessive amount of alcohol. Ask your pharmacist to suggest a painkiller. Complications ought to often go away after the primary week of taking amlodipine. Speak to your physician in the event that they last more than every week or are extreme.
feeling dizzy – if amlodipine makes you are feeling dizzy, cease what you are doing and sit or lie down till you are feeling higher.
flushing – strive reducing down on espresso, tea and alcohol. It’d assist to maintain the room cool and use a fan. You may additionally spray your face with cool water or sip chilly or iced drinks. The flushing ought to go away after a couple of days. If it would not go away or it is inflicting you issues, contact your physician.
a pounding heartbeat – if this occurs recurrently after you’re taking your medication, attempt to take amlodipine at a time when you may sit down (or lie down) when the signs are at their worst. It might assist to chop down on alcohol, smoking, caffeine and large meals as these might make the issue worse. When you’re nonetheless having issues after every week, communicate to your physician as they could want to alter you to a distinct kind of medication.
swollen ankles – increase your legs whenever you’re sitting down.
7. Bod yn feichiog a bwydo ar y fron
Amlodipine just isn’t usually advisable in being pregnant or when breastfeeding.
When you’re attempting to get pregnant otherwise you’re already pregnant, speak to your physician about the advantages and doable harms of taking amlodipine. There could also be different medicines which are safer for you.
For extra details about how amlodipine can have an effect on you and your child throughout being pregnant, learn this leaflet on the Greatest Use of Medicines in Being pregnant (BUMPS) web site.
Amlodipine and breastfeeding
Small quantities of amlodipine might get into breast milk, nevertheless it’s not identified if that is dangerous to the newborn. Speak to your physician as different medicines is perhaps higher whilst you’re breastfeeding.
Non-urgent recommendation: Inform your physician in the event you’re:
- ceisio beichiogi
- bwydo ar y fron
8. Rhybuddion gyda gwahanol feddyginiaethau
When you take different medicines that decrease blood stress, resembling ramipril or lisinopril, concurrently amlodipine, the mixture can generally decrease your blood stress an excessive amount of.
This will likely make you are feeling dizzy or faint. If this retains taking place to you, inform your physician as your dose might should be modified. Some medicines can intrude with the way in which amlodipine works.
Inform your physician in the event you’re taking any of those medicines earlier than beginning amlodipine:
- the antibiotics clarithromycin, erythromycin or rifampicin
- medicines for hypertension, together with diltiazem and verapamil
- the antifungals itraconazole or ketoconazole
- medicines to deal with HIV or HCV (hepatitis C virus)
- the anti-epilepsy medicines carbamazepine, phenytoin, phenobarbital (phenobarbitone) or primidone
- medicines to suppress your immune system, resembling ciclosporin or tacrolimus
- greater than 20mg a day of the cholesterol-lowering medication simvastatin
Mixing amlodipine with natural treatments or dietary supplements
St John’s wort, a natural medication taken for despair, is assumed to intrude with the way in which amlodipine works.
Speak to your physician in the event you’re interested by taking St John’s wort.
Necessary: Medication security
Inform your physician or pharmacist in the event you’re taking another medicines, together with natural medicines, nutritional vitamins or dietary supplements.
9. Cwestiynau mynych
- Coronary heart assault
- Hypertension (hypertension)