1. About escitalopram
Escitalopram is a sort of antidepressant generally known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).
It is typically used to deal with despair and is usually used for anxiousness, obsessive compulsive dysfunction or panic assaults. Escitalopram helps many individuals get better from despair and has fewer negative effects than older antidepressants.
Escitalopram is obtainable on prescription. It comes as tablets and liquid drops that you just put in a drink.
2. Gwybodaeth allweddol
- It often takes 4 to six weeks for escitalopram to work.
- Unintended effects resembling feeling sick (nausea) and headache are widespread. They’re often delicate and go away after a few weeks.
- When you and your physician determine to take you off escitalopram, your physician will most likely suggest decreasing your dose steadily to assist stop additional unwanted side effects.
- Escitalopram can be referred to as by the model title Cipralex.
3. Who can and can’t take escitalopram
Escitalopram will be taken by adults over the age of 18.
Examine together with your physician earlier than beginning to take escitalopram in the event you:
- have had an allergic response to escitalopram or another medicines prior to now
- have epilepsy or are having electroconvulsive remedy – escitalopram might enhance your threat of getting a seizure
- have a coronary heart drawback – escitalopram can velocity up or change your heartbeat
- have a low coronary heart fee, plus you’ve had extreme diarrhoea and vomiting for a very long time or take tablets that make you pee extra (diuretics)
- have ever taken another medicines for despair – some hardly ever used antidepressants can work together with escitalopram to trigger very hypertension even after they have been stopped for a couple of weeks
- are attempting to turn into pregnant, already pregnant or breastfeeding
- have an eye fixed drawback referred to as glaucoma – escitalopram can enhance the stress in your eye
- In case you have diabetes, escitalopram could make it harder to maintain your blood sugar steady.
- Monitor your blood sugar extra typically for the primary few weeks of remedy with escitalopram and regulate your diabetes remedy if needed.
4. Sut a phryd i'w gymryd
- Take escitalopram as soon as a day. You possibly can take it with or with out meals.
- You possibly can take escitalopram at any time of day, so long as you stick with the identical time every single day.
- In case you have bother sleeping, it is best to take it within the morning.
How a lot to take
- Escitalopram tablets come in numerous strengths starting from 5mg to 20mg.
- The standard dose of escitalopram is 10mg a day in adults. However chances are you’ll begin on a decrease dose and enhance to a most dose of 20mg a day.
- In case you have liver issues, the utmost advisable dose is 10mg a day.
- With liquid drops of escitalopram, 1 drop is equal to 1mg, 10 drops is 10mg, 20 drops is 20mg.
What if I overlook to take it?
- Don’t take a double dose to make up for forgotten doses.
- When you do overlook to take a dose and keep in mind earlier than you go to mattress, take it right away. Keep on as typical the subsequent day.
- When you solely keep in mind through the evening or the subsequent day, omit the missed dose and stick with it as typical.
- When you overlook doses typically, it could assist to set an alarm to remind you.
- You may additionally ask your pharmacist for recommendation on different methods that can assist you keep in mind to take your medication.
What if I take an excessive amount of?
The quantity of escitalopram that may result in an overdose varies from individual to individual.
Pressing recommendation: Name your physician right away if:
You may have taken an excessive amount of escitalopram by chance and expertise signs resembling:
- feeling agitated
- being sick (vomiting)
- a quick coronary heart fee
If you want to go to A&E, don’t drive your self. Get another person to drive you or name for an ambulance. Take the escitalopram packet or the leaflet inside it, plus any remaining medication, with you.
5. Effeithiau anfwriadol
Like all medicines, escitalopram could cause unwanted side effects in some folks, however many individuals don’t have any unwanted side effects or solely minor ones.
A few of the widespread unwanted side effects of escitalopram will steadily enhance as your physique will get used to it.
Frequent unwanted side effects
Frequent unwanted side effects might occur in additional than 1 in 10 folks. Preserve taking the medication, however speak to a health care provider or pharmacist if these unwanted side effects hassle you or do not go away:
- a dry mouth
- sweating loads
- being unable to sleep
- feeling sleepy
- feeling drained or weak
Sgîl-effeithiau critigol diangen
Critical unwanted side effects are uncommon and occur in lower than 1 in 1,000 folks.
Go to A&E instantly in the event you get: painful erections that last more than 4 hours – this may occasionally occur even whenever you’re not having intercourse extreme dizziness or passing out any bleeding that is very unhealthy or you may’t cease, resembling cuts or nosebleeds that do not cease inside 10 minutes
Name a health care provider right away in the event you get:
fixed complications, long-lasting confusion or weak point, or frequent muscle cramps – these can all be indicators of low sodium ranges in your blood (in extreme circumstances, low sodium can result in seizures) ideas about harming your self or ending your life a excessive temperature (38C and above) with agitation, confusion, trembling and twitching vomiting blood, coughing up vomit, blood in your pee, black or crimson poo – these will be indicators of bleeding from the intestine bleeding from the gums, or bruises that seem with no cause or get greater
Guide an appointment together with your physician in the event you expertise: weight acquire or loss with out attempting adjustments in your intervals, resembling heavy bleeding, recognizing or bleeding between intervals
Critical allergic response : In uncommon circumstances, it is doable to have a severe allergic response (anaphylaxis) to escitalopram.
Angen cynnig cyflym:
Rapid motion is requird when:
- byddwch yn cael mandyllau a brech ar y croen a fydd yn cofleidio mandyllau a chroen coslyd, rhuddgoch, chwyddedig, pothellu neu blicio
- rydych chi'n gwichian
- rydych chi'n mynd yn dynn yn y frest neu'r gwddf
- rydych chi wedi trafferthu anadlu neu siarad
- eich ceg, wyneb, gwefusau, tafod neu wddf yn dechrau chwyddo
- Efallai eich bod yn cael adwaith alergaidd difrifol ac efallai y cewch feddyginiaeth gyflym yn yr ysbyty.
- These aren’t all of the unwanted side effects of escitalopram.
For a full record, see the leaflet inside your medicines packet.
You possibly can report any suspected aspect impact utilizing the Yellow Card security scheme.
6. Sut i ddelio â sgil-effeithiau diangen
What to do about the side effects:
- a dry mouth – chew sugar-free gum or sugar-free sweets
- sweating loads – strive sporting unfastened clothes, utilizing a robust anti-perspirant, and protecting cool utilizing a fan, if doable. If this does not management the issue, speak to your physician. Chances are you’ll must strive a distinct antidepressant.
- being unable to sleep – take escitalopram very first thing within the morning
- feeling sleepy- take escitalopram within the night and minimize down the quantity of alcohol you drink. Don’t drive or use instruments or equipment in the event you’re feeling sleepy. If this does not assist, speak to your physician.
feeling drained or weak – cease what you are doing and sit or lie down till you are feeling higher. Don’t drive or use instruments or equipment in the event you’re feeling drained. Don’t drink alcohol as it will make you are feeling worse.
7. Bod yn feichiog a bwydo ar y fron
Escitalopram in being pregnant
- It is vital for you and your child that you just keep effectively throughout your being pregnant.
- When you turn into pregnant whereas taking escitalopram, communicate to your physician. Don’t cease taking your medication except your physician tells you to.
- Escitalopram has been linked to a really small elevated threat of issues in your unborn child.
- But when your despair is not handled throughout being pregnant, this will additionally enhance the prospect of issues.
- Chances are you’ll must take escitalopram throughout being pregnant in the event you want it to stay effectively.
- Your physician can clarify the dangers and the advantages, and can show you how to determine which remedy is finest for you and your child.
- For extra details about how escitalopram can have an effect on you and your child throughout being pregnant, learn this leaflet on one of the best use of medicines in being pregnant (BUMPs) web site.
Escitalopram and breastfeeding
In case your physician or well being customer says your child is wholesome, escitalopram can be utilized throughout breastfeeding.
Escitalopram passes into breast milk in small quantities, and has been linked with unwanted side effects in only a few breastfed infants.
It is vital to proceed taking escitalopram to maintain you effectively. Breastfeeding may also profit each you and your child.
When you discover that your child is not feeding in addition to typical, appears unusually sleepy or you’ve another considerations about your child, speak to your well being customer or physician as quickly as doable.
Non-urgent recommendation: Inform your physician in the event you’re:
- ceisio beichiogi
- bwydo ar y fron
8. Rhybuddion gyda gwahanol feddyginiaethau
Some medicines and escitalopram can intrude with one another and enhance the probabilities of you having unwanted side effects.
Inform your physician in the event you’re taking these medicines earlier than you begin escitalopram:
- any medicines that have an effect on your heartbeat – escitalopram can velocity up or change your heartbeat
- another medicines for despair – some hardly ever used antidepressants can work together with escitalopram to trigger very hypertension even after they have been stopped for a couple of weeks
- These aren’t all of the medicines that may intrude with escitalopram.
For a full record, see the leaflet inside your medication packet or examine together with your pharmacist.
Mixing escitalopram with natural treatments and dietary supplements
Don’t take St John’s wort, the natural treatment for despair, whilst you’re being handled with escitalopram as this may enhance your threat of unwanted side effects.
Necessary: Medication security
Inform your physician or pharmacist in the event you’re taking another medicines, together with natural medicines, nutritional vitamins or dietary supplements.
9. Cwestiynau mynych
- Don’t cease taking escitalopram abruptly or without speaking to your physician first.
- Escitalopram hasn’t been correctly examined with leisure medicine.
- Speak to your physician in the event you suppose you may use leisure medicine where as taking escitalopram.
- Medical despair
- Generalised anxiousness dysfunction in adults
- Obsessive compulsive dysfunction (OCD)
- Panic dysfunction