1. What’s losartan
Losartan is a medication broadly used to deal with hypertension and coronary heart failure, and to guard your kidneys when you’ve got each kidney illness and diabetes.
Losartan helps to stop future strokes, coronary heart assaults and kidney issues. It additionally improves your survival if you happen to’re taking it for coronary heart failure or after a coronary heart assault. This medication is barely obtainable on prescription. It comes as tablets.
When you’ve got coronavirus, or assume you might need it, maintain taking your blood strain medicines as regular. There isn’t a clear proof that taking angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) like losartan will trigger problems.
2. Gwybodaeth allweddol
- Losartan lowers your blood strain and makes it simpler in your coronary heart to pump blood round your physique.
- It is usually used as a second-choice remedy if you happen to needed to cease taking one other blood pressure-lowering medication as a result of it gave you a dry, irritating cough.
- When you’ve got diarrhoea and vomiting from a abdomen bug or sickness whereas taking losartan, inform your physician. Chances are you’ll have to cease taking it till you are feeling higher.
- The primary unwanted side effects of losartan are dizziness and fatigue, however they’re often gentle and shortlived.
- Losartan will not be usually really helpful in being pregnant or whereas breastfeeding. Speak to your physician if you happen to’re making an attempt to get pregnant, you are already pregnant otherwise you’re breastfeeding.
- Losartan can also be known as by the model title Cozaar.
3. Who can and might’t take losartan
Losartan will be taken by adults aged 18 years and over. Youngsters aged 6 years and older can take it, however solely to deal with hypertension.
Your physician might prescribe losartan if you happen to’ve tried taking comparable blood pressure-lowering medicines corresponding to ramipril and lisinopril prior to now, however needed to cease taking them due to unwanted side effects corresponding to a dry, irritating cough. Losartan is not appropriate for some individuals.
To verify losartan is protected for you, inform your physician if you happen to:
- have had an allergic response to losartan or different medicines prior to now
- have diabetes
- have coronary heart, liver or kidney issues
- just lately had a kidney transplant
- have had diarrhoea or vomiting
- have been on a low salt weight loss plan
- have low blood strain
- are attempting to get pregnant, are already pregnant or you’re breastfeeding
4. Sut a phryd i'w gymryd
Take losartan tablets as soon as a day.
Your physician might recommend that you simply take your first dose earlier than bedtime, as a result of it could actually make you dizzy. After the very first dose, you possibly can take losartan at any time of day. Attempt to take it on the identical time daily.
You possibly can take losartan tablets with or with out meals. Swallow the tablets with a drink of water.
How a lot will I take?
The dose of losartan you’re taking is determined by why you want the medication. Take it as instructed by your physician.
Normally, adults take:
- 50mg to 100mg as soon as a day to deal with hypertension and to guard their kidneys
- 5mg to 150mg as soon as a day for coronary heart failure
The dose could also be decrease if you happen to’ve just lately misplaced physique fluids (for instance, due to diarrhoea or being sick) otherwise you’re over the age of 75.
In case your youngster wants losartan, your physician will often use your kid’s weight to work out the proper dose.
Will my dose go up or down?
After a couple of weeks your physician will test your blood strain and ask you if you happen to’re getting any unwanted side effects. You might also have blood exams to test how effectively your kidneys are working and the quantity of potassium in your blood. Your physician will then resolve whether or not to alter your dose of losartan.
If losartan would not deliver your blood strain down, your physician might need to improve the dose. In case your blood strain will get too low otherwise you get unwanted side effects, your physician might need to decrease your dose.
Take losartan even if you happen to really feel effectively, as you’ll nonetheless be getting the advantages of the medication.
What if I get sick whereas I am taking it?
For those who get extreme diarrhoea or vomiting for any motive, contact your physician or a pharmacist. They’ll be capable of advise you What’s what to do.
They might suggest that you simply cease taking losartan till you’re higher, and also you’re in a position to eat and drink usually once more.
What if I neglect to take it?
For those who miss a dose of losartan, take it as quickly as you bear in mind. Don’t take a double dose to make up for a forgotten one.
For those who usually neglect doses, it could assist to set an alarm to remind you. You may additionally ask your pharmacist for recommendation on different methods of serving to you bear in mind your medication.
What if I take an excessive amount of?
For those who take too many losartan tablets accidentally, contact your physician or go to your nearest hospital A&E division right away.
An overdose of losartan may cause dizziness, sleepiness and a pounding heartbeat. The quantity of losartan that may result in an overdose varies from individual to individual.
Pressing recommendation: Name a health care provider or go to A&E as quickly as potential if you happen to take an excessive amount of losartan
If you could go to your nearest hospital A&E division, don’t drive your self – get another person to drive you or name for an ambulance. Take the losartan packet or leaflet inside it plus any remaining medication with you.
5. Negative effects
Like all medicines, losartan may cause unwanted side effects though not everybody will get them. Negative effects usually enhance as your physique will get used to the medication.
Widespread unwanted side effects
These widespread unwanted side effects occur in additional than 1 in 100 individuals:
- feeling dizzy or having a spinning sensation (vertigo)
- feeling sick (nausea)
- being sick (vomiting) or diarrhoea
- ache in your joints or muscle tissues
Speak to your physician or pharmacist if these unwanted side effects hassle you or do not go away.
Sgîl-effeithiau critigol diangen
It occurs hardly ever, however some individuals have critical unwanted side effects after taking losartan.
Name a health care provider right away when you’ve got:
- yellow pores and skin or the whites of your eyes flip yellow – this could be a signal of liver issues
- extreme abdomen ache – this could be a signal of an infected pancreas
- pale pores and skin, feeling drained, faint or dizzy, purple spots, any signal of bleeding, sore throat and fever – these will be indicators of blood or bone marrow dysfunction
- weak point, an irregular heartbeat, pins and needles and muscle cramps – these will be indicators of modifications within the sodium and potassium ranges in your blood
Ymateb alergaidd critigol
In uncommon circumstances, losartan might trigger a critical allergic response (anaphylaxis).
Speedy motion required: Name 999 or go to A&E if:
- you get a pores and skin rash that will embrace itchy, pink, swollen, blistered or peeling pores and skin
- rydych chi'n gwichian
- rydych chi'n mynd yn dynn yn y frest neu'r gwddf
- you might have hassle respiration or speaking
- eich ceg, wyneb, gwefusau, tafod neu wddf yn dechrau chwyddo
You may be having a critical allergic response and might have speedy remedy in hospital.
These aren’t all of the unwanted side effects of losartan.
6. Sut i ddelio â sgil-effeithiau diangen
What to do What’s:
- feeling dizzy – if losartan makes you are feeling dizzy whenever you arise, attempt getting up very slowly or keep sitting down till you are feeling higher. For those who start to really feel dizzy, lie down in order that you do not faint, then sit till you are feeling higher. Don’t drive or use instruments or machines if you happen to really feel dizzy, have muscle cramps or muscle ache, or if you happen to simply really feel a bit shaky.
- complications – ensure you relaxation and drink loads of fluids. Don’t drink an excessive amount of alcohol. Ask your pharmacist to suggest a painkiller. Complications ought to often go away after the primary week of taking losartan. Speak to your physician in the event that they last more than per week or are extreme.
- feeling sick (nausea) – attempt taking your tablets with or after a meal or snack. It might additionally assist if you happen to do not eat wealthy or spicy meals.
- being sick (vomiting) or diarrhoea – drink loads of fluids, corresponding to water or squash, to stop dehydration – if you happen to’re being sick, take small, frequent sips. Communicate to a pharmacist when you’ve got indicators of dehydration, corresponding to peeing lower than regular or having darkish, strong-smelling pee. For those who get extreme diarrhoea or vomiting from a abdomen bug or sickness, inform your physician. Chances are you’ll have to cease taking losartan for some time till you are feeling higher.
- ache in your joints or muscle tissues – if you happen to get uncommon muscle ache, weak point or tiredness which is not from train or exhausting work, speak to your physician. Chances are you’ll want a blood take a look at to test what is perhaps inflicting it.
7. Bod yn feichiog a bwydo ar y fron
Losartan will not be usually really helpful in being pregnant or when breastfeeding. Nonetheless, your physician might prescribe it in the event that they assume the advantages of the medication outweigh the dangers.
For those who’re making an attempt to get pregnant otherwise you’re already pregnant, speak to your physician What’s the advantages and potential harms of taking losartan. These will rely upon what number of weeks pregnant you’re and the rationale you could take it. There could also be different remedies which can be safer for you.
For extra info What’s how losartan can have an effect on you and your child throughout being pregnant, go to the Finest Use of Medicines in Being pregnant (BUMPS) web site.
Losartan and breastfeeding
Small quantities of losartan might get into breast milk. This may trigger low blood strain within the child. Speak to your physician, as different medicines is perhaps higher when you are breastfeeding.
Non-urgent recommendation: Inform your physician if you happen to’re:
- making an attempt to get pregnant
- bwydo ar y fron
8. Rhybuddion gyda gwahanol feddyginiaethau
Some medicines intrude with the way in which losartan works.
Inform your physician if you happen to’re taking:
- different medicines to assist decrease your blood strain, together with aliskiren, enalapril, captopril, lisinopril or ramipril
- painkillers corresponding to ibuprofen, naproxen, diclofenac, celecoxib or etoricoxib
- aspirin (if you’re taking greater than 3g a day)
- potassium dietary supplements or salt substitutes which comprise potassium
- heparin (a blood thinning medication)
- tablets which make you pee extra (diuretics)
- lithium (a medication for psychological well being issues)
- spironolactone (a medication to deal with coronary heart failure)
Mixing losartan with natural cures or dietary supplements
There’s little or no info What’s taking natural cures and dietary supplements with losartan.
For security, inform your physician or pharmacist if you happen to’re taking another medicines, together with natural cures, nutritional vitamins or dietary supplements.
9. Widespread questions
- Hypertension (hypertension)
- Coronary heart failure
- Kind 2 diabetes
- Losartan: discussion board
- Well being test: free well being check-up
- Blood Strain UK
- British Coronary heart Basis
- Diabetes UK