1. What’s metoprolol
Metoprolol belongs to a gaggle of medicines known as beta blockers.
It is used to:
- deal with hypertension
- deal with sicknesses that trigger an irregular heartbeat
- stop future coronary heart illness, coronary heart assaults and strokes
- stop chest ache brought on by angina
- stop migraines
Metoprolol will help scale back your signs when you’ve got an excessive amount of thyroid hormone in your physique (thyrotoxicosis). You may often take it along with medicines to deal with an overactive thyroid.
This medication comes as tablets and is barely obtainable on prescription. It is also given by injection, however that is often executed in hospital.
2. Gwybodaeth allweddol
- Metoprolol slows down your coronary heart charge and makes it simpler in your coronary heart to pump blood round your physique.
- Your very first dose of metoprolol might make you are feeling dizzy, so take it at bedtime. For those who do not feel dizzy after that, you possibly can take it within the morning.
- Metoprolol is often taken a few times a day, however generally it is prescribed to be taken as much as 4 instances a day.
- The primary unwanted side effects of metoprolol are complications, and feeling dizzy, sick or drained – these are often gentle and short-lived.
- Metoprolol additionally goes by the model title Lopresor. When given by injection, it could be known as by the model title Betaloc.
3. Who can and can’t take metoprolol
Metoprolol will be taken by adults over the age of 18.
It isn’t appropriate for everybody. To verify it is protected for you, inform your physician earlier than beginning metoprolol when you’ve got:
- ever had an allergic response to metoprolol or another medication
- low blood strain or a sluggish coronary heart charge
- a lung illness or extreme bronchial asthma
- metabolic acidosis – when there’s an excessive amount of acid in your blood
- an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) – metoprolol might make it harder to recognise the warning indicators of getting an excessive amount of thyroid hormone in your physique (thyrotoxicosis)
- extreme blood circulation issues in your limbs (corresponding to Raynaud’s phenomenon), which can make your fingers and toes tingle or flip pale or blue
- liver issues
4. Sut a phryd i'w gymryd
Metoprolol comes as 2 various kinds of pill: normal launch and sluggish launch.
Gradual launch can also be known as sustained launch (SR):
- normal launch – releases metoprolol into your physique shortly (chances are you’ll have to take it a number of instances a day relying in your dose)
- sluggish launch – dissolves slowly so you do not have to take it as usually (as soon as a day is often sufficient)
Your physician might advise you to take your first dose earlier than bedtime as a result of it might make you are feeling dizzy.
If you don’t really feel dizzy after the primary dose, take metoprolol within the morning. When you’ve got metoprolol greater than as soon as a day, attempt to house the doses evenly all through the day.
Take metoprolol even if you happen to really feel effectively, as you’ll nonetheless be getting the advantages of the medication.
How a lot you’re taking is determined by why you want metoprolol and the kind of pill you take:
- hypertension: normal launch – 50mg to 100mg, taken twice a day; sluggish launch – 200mg, taken as soon as a day
- chest ache (angina): normal launch – 50mg to 100mg, taken 2 to three instances a day; sluggish launch – 200mg to 400mg, taken as soon as a day
- an irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) – normal launch – 50mg, taken 2 to three instances a day
- stopping migraine: normal launch – 50mg, taken 2 to 4 instances a day, or 100mg , taken twice a day
- an excessive amount of thyroid hormone (thyrotoxicosis) – normal launch – 50mg, taken 4 instances a day
Find out how to take it
You possibly can take metoprolol with or with out meals, however it’s finest to do the identical every day. Swallow the tablets complete with a drink of water.
Some manufacturers have a rating line that will help you break the pill in half and make it simpler to swallow. Examine the data leaflet in your model to see if you are able to do this.
What if I neglect to take it?
For those who miss a dose, take your metoprolol as quickly as you bear in mind, except it is almost time in your subsequent dose.
On this case, simply miss the missed dose and take your subsequent dose as regular. By no means take 2 doses on the identical time. By no means take an additional dose to make up for a forgotten one.
For those who usually neglect doses, it could assist to set an alarm to remind you. You may additionally ask your pharmacist for recommendation on different methods that will help you bear in mind to take your medication.
What if I take an excessive amount of?
Taking an excessive amount of metoprolol can decelerate your coronary heart charge and make it troublesome to breathe. It will probably additionally trigger dizziness and trembling.
The quantity of metoprolol that may result in an overdose varies from individual to individual.
Pressing recommendation: Name your physician or go to A&E now if:
- you’re taking an excessive amount of metoprolol
- If you could go to hospital, don’t drive your self – get another person to drive you or name for an ambulance.
- Take the metoprolol packet or leaflet inside it, plus any remaining medication, with you.
- Discover your nearest A&E
5. Negative effects
Like all medicines, metoprolol may cause unwanted side effects, however many individuals don’t have any unwanted side effects or solely minor ones. Negative effects usually enhance as your physique will get used to the medication.
Widespread unwanted side effects
These widespread unwanted side effects occur in additional than 1 in 100 individuals. They’re often gentle and short-lived.
Speak to your physician or pharmacist if the unwanted side effects hassle you or final quite a lot of days:
- feeling drained, dizzy or weak
- chilly palms or toes
- feeling sick (nausea)
- abdomen ache
Sgîl-effeithiau critigol diangen
It is uncommon, however some individuals have critical unwanted side effects when taking metoprolol.
Name a health care provider right away when you’ve got:
- shortness of breath, wheezing and tightening of the chest – these will be indicators of lung issues
- shortness of breath with a cough that will get worse whenever you train (like strolling up stairs), swollen ankles or legs, chest ache, an irregular heartbeat – these are indicators of coronary heart issues
- a quick coronary heart charge, excessive temperature, trembling and confusion – these are indicators of an excessive amount of thyroid hormone within the blood (thyrotoxicosis)
- yellow pores and skin or the whites of your eyes flip yellow – these will be indicators of liver issues
Ymateb alergaidd critigol
In uncommon circumstances, metoprolol might trigger a critical allergic response (anaphylaxis).
Speedy motion required:
- you get a pores and skin rash that will embrace itchy, pink, swollen, blistered or peeling pores and skin
- rydych chi'n gwichian
- rydych chi'n mynd yn dynn yn y frest neu'r gwddf
- you might have hassle respiration or speaking
- eich ceg, wyneb, gwefusau, tafod neu wddf yn dechrau chwyddo
You may be having a critical allergic response and might have speedy remedy in hospital. These aren’t all of the unwanted side effects of metoprolol. For a full listing, see the leaflet inside your medication packet.
6. Sut i ddelio â sgil-effeithiau diangen
What to do What’s:
- complications – ensure you relaxation and drink loads of fluids. Don’t drink an excessive amount of alcohol. Ask your pharmacist to suggest a painkiller. Complications often go away after the primary week of taking metoprolol. Speak to your physician if the complications are extreme or last more than per week.
- feeling drained, dizzy or weak – if metoprolol makes you are feeling dizzy or weak, cease what you are doing, and sit or lie down till you are feeling higher. Don’t drive or use instruments or equipment if you happen to’re feeling drained. Don’t drink alcohol, it’s going to make you are feeling worse.
- chilly palms or toes – put your palms or toes below heat working water, therapeutic massage them, and wiggle your fingers and toes. Don’t smoke or have drinks with caffeine in – these could make your blood vessels narrower and prohibit your blood circulation. Smoking additionally makes your pores and skin colder. Strive sporting mittens (they’re hotter than gloves) and heat socks. Don’t put on tight watches or bracelets.
- feeling sick (nausea) – persist with easy meals and keep away from wealthy or spicy meals. It’d assist to take your metoprolol after you might have eaten.
- abdomen ache – attempt to relaxation and chill out. It will probably assist to eat and drink slowly and have smaller and extra frequent meals. Placing a warmth pad or coated sizzling water bottle in your abdomen might also assist. For those who’re in a number of ache, communicate to your pharmacist or physician.
7. Bod yn feichiog a bwydo ar y fron
Metoprolol will not be often really helpful in being pregnant. For those who’re making an attempt to get pregnant or are already pregnant, speak to your physician What’s the advantages and potential harms of taking metoprolol.
Your physician might suggest one other medication, corresponding to labetalol. It is just like metoprolol and is usually prescribed for hypertension in being pregnant.
Metoprolol and breastfeeding
- It is often protected to take metoprolol if you happen to’re breastfeeding.
- It’s because solely a small quantity will get into breast milk, and it isn’t sufficient to trigger any issues to your child.
- However communicate to your physician earlier than taking metoprolol in case your child is untimely or has kidney issues.
Non-urgent recommendation: Inform your physician if you happen to’re:
- making an attempt to get pregnant
- bwydo ar y fron
8. Rhybuddion gyda gwahanol feddyginiaethau
There are some medicines that will intrude with the way in which metoprolol works.
Inform your physician if you happen to’re taking:
- different medicines for hypertension – the mixture with metoprolol can generally decrease your blood strain an excessive amount of, which can make you are feeling dizzy or faint; inform your physician if this retains taking place as they could change your dose
- different medicines that may decrease your blood strain – these embrace some antidepressants, nitrates (for chest ache), baclofen (a muscle relaxant), tamsulosin (for an enlarged prostate), and co-careldopa and levodopa (for Parkinson’s illness)
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (NSAIDs), corresponding to ibuprofen – these medicines might improve your blood strain, so it is best to maintain them to a minimal
- cough medicines that comprise pseudoephedrine or xylometazoline
- medicines for diabetes – metoprolol might make it harder to recognise the warning indicators of low blood sugar
- medicines for allergy symptoms – corresponding to ephedrine, noradrenaline or adrenaline
- medicines for bronchial asthma or continual obstructive pulmonary illness (COPD)
Mixing metoprolol with natural cures or dietary supplements
There’s little or no info What’s taking natural cures and dietary supplements with metoprolol.
Inform your physician or pharmacist if you happen to’re taking another medicines, together with natural medicines, nutritional vitamins or dietary supplements.
9. Widespread questions
- Hypertension (hypertension)
- British Coronary heart Basis: charity
- Metoprolol: boards
- Migraine Motion: charity