1. What’s promethazine
Promethazine is an antihistamine medication that relieves the signs of allergy symptoms. It is referred to as a drowsy (sedating) antihistamine. It is extra more likely to make you are feeling sleepy than different antihistamines.
It is used for:
- short-term sleep issues (insomnia) – together with when a cough or chilly, or itching, is protecting you awake at night time
- allergy symptoms, together with hay fever and hives (urticaria)
- feeling and being sick (vomiting) – resulting from morning illness, journey illness or vertigo
- cough and chilly signs, corresponding to coughing and a runny nostril
You should purchase promethazine from pharmacies, the place it is usually bought as Avomine, Phenergan or Sominex. Promethazine can also be obtainable on prescription.
You may also purchase promethazine blended with different medicines, corresponding to paracetamol, dextromethorphan, pholcodine or pseudoephedrine, to deal with coughs and colds or ache.
In style model names embrace Day & Night time Nurse and Night time Nurse. It comes as tablets, capsules and a liquid that you simply swallow.
2. Gwybodaeth allweddol
- Keep away from consuming alcohol whereas taking promethazine. Alcohol will increase the dangers of unwanted side effects.
- That can assist you sleep, you may often take promethazine 20 minutes earlier than you go to mattress. It usually takes What’s half-hour to work.
- For stopping journey illness, you possibly can often take promethazine the night time earlier than an extended journey or 1 to 2 hours earlier than a brief journey.
- Widespread unwanted side effects embrace feeling sleepy, complications, nightmares and feeling dizzy, stressed or confused.
- Promethazine is thought by the model names Avomine, Phenergan and Sominex.
- When promethazine is blended with different medicines, it is also identified by the model names Day & Night time Nurse, Fedril and Night time Nurse.
3. Who can and can’t take promethazine
Promethazine will be taken by most adults and kids aged 2 years and above.
Promethazine will not be appropriate for some individuals. Inform your physician or pharmacist if you happen to:
- have had an allergic response to promethazine or another medicines prior to now
- have a watch downside known as main angle closure glaucoma
- have issues peeing or emptying your bladder
- have epilepsy or another well being downside that causes matches
- have an intolerance to, or can’t take up, some sugars, corresponding to lactose or sorbitol
- are resulting from have an allergy take a look at. Promethazine can have an effect on your outcomes, so chances are you’ll have to cease taking it a couple of days earlier than your take a look at. Ask the clinic the place you’re resulting from have your allergy take a look at.
- are unable to have any alcohol. Some liquid promethazine merchandise comprise a really small quantity of alcohol, so test the elements and the packaging rigorously.
- are attempting to get pregnant. Promethazine can have an effect on house being pregnant exams. For those who assume you are pregnant, communicate to your physician to allow them to organize a blood take a look at as a substitute.
4. Sut a phryd i'w gymryd
For those who or your youngster have been prescribed promethazine, comply with your physician’s directions What’s how and when to take it.
Solely take promethazine whenever you want it – for instance, if you happen to’re unable to sleep since you’re worrying What’s one thing or your chilly signs are protecting you awake.
When you’ve got purchased promethazine or any medication containing promethazine from a pharmacy or grocery store, comply with the directions that include it, or ask a pharmacist for recommendation.
Dosage and energy
Promethazine is available in 10mg, 20mg and 25mg tablets and a liquid that you simply swallow.
For those who’re taking liquid promethazine, comply with the directions that include the medication for the way a lot to take.
For those who’re taking promethazine tablets, your dose is determined by why you take it:
- short-term insomnia – you may often take 20 to 50mg at night time
- hay fever – you may often take 10mg twice a day to 20mg 3 instances a day
- hives – you may often take 10mg twice a day to 20mg 3 instances a day
- stopping journey illness – 25mg taken 1 to 2 hours earlier than a brief journey or 25mg the night time earlier than an extended journey
- treating journey illness – take 25mg as quickly as potential and 25mg the identical night, adopted by 25mg the next night (if you happen to want it)
- morning illness and vertigo – the dose can differ from 25mg a day to 25mg 4 instances a day
Promethazine comes blended with different elements for cough and chilly signs – the same old dose is determined by the kind of medication you take.
Examine the directions on the packaging rigorously, or ask your pharmacist or physician if you happen to’re not sure. Doses are decrease for kids. Your physician will use your kid’s age to work out the proper dose.
Find out how to take it
- You possibly can take promethazine tablets, capsules and liquid with or with out meals.
- At all times take your promethazine tablets or capsules with a drink of water. Swallow them complete. Don’t chew them.
- Liquid medicines containing promethazine include a plastic syringe or spoon that will help you measure out the proper dose.
- For those who shouldn’t have a syringe or spoon, ask your pharmacist for one. Don’t use a kitchen teaspoon as you’ll not get the correct amount.
What if I neglect my medication?
- For journey illness, take it as quickly as you bear in mind.
- For the rest, skip the missed dose and take your subsequent dose on the regular time.
- By no means take 2 doses on the identical time. By no means take an additional dose to make up for a forgotten one.
- For those who neglect doses usually, it could assist to set an alarm to remind you. You may additionally ask your pharmacist for recommendation on different methods that will help you bear in mind to take your medication.
What if I take an excessive amount of?
An excessive amount of promethazine will be harmful. For those who take an excessive amount of, chances are you’ll:
- really feel very sleepy
- have a really quick, uneven or pounding heartbeat (palpitations)
- have respiration issues
In critical circumstances, you possibly can grow to be unconscious or have matches and might have emergency remedy in hospital.
In case your youngster takes an excessive amount of promethazine, they could additionally:
- transfer unsteadily or stumble
- have uncontrolled actions, particularly of their palms or toes
- see or hear issues that aren’t there (hallucinations)
- have an uneven heartbeat
Pressing recommendation: Name your physician right away if:
- you’re taking an excessive amount of promethazine
- If you could go to A&E don’t drive your self – get another person to drive you or name for an ambulance.
- Take the promethazine packet or leaflet inside it, plus any remaining medication, with you.
5. Negative effects
Widespread unwanted side effects
Like all medicines, promethazine may cause unwanted side effects, though not everybody will get them.
Speak to your pharmacist or physician if these unwanted side effects hassle you or don’t go away:
- feeling drained through the daytime
- feeling dizzy or unsteady in your toes, or having problem concentrating
Promethazine can generally make your pores and skin extra delicate to daylight. Hold out of direct or sturdy daylight and comply with solar security recommendation.
For those who’re over 65, you are extra more likely to expertise unwanted side effects corresponding to:
- feeling confused
- dry mouth
- blurred imaginative and prescient
- problem peeing
Youngsters usually tend to expertise unwanted side effects corresponding to feeling stressed or excited.
Sgîl-effeithiau critigol diangen
Name your physician right away when you’ve got:
- yellowing of the pores and skin or whites of the eyes – these will be indicators of liver issues
- bruising or bleeding that is greater than regular
- muscle stiffness or shaking, or uncommon face or tongue actions
Ymateb alergaidd critigol
In uncommon circumstances, it is potential to have a critical allergic response (anaphylaxis) to promethazine.
Speedy motion required: Name 999 or go to A&E if:
- you get a pores and skin rash that will embrace itchy, pink, swollen, blistered or peeling pores and skin
- rydych chi'n gwichian
- rydych chi'n mynd yn dynn yn y frest neu'r gwddf
- you might have hassle respiration or speaking
- eich ceg, wyneb, gwefusau, tafod neu wddf yn dechrau chwyddo
You may be having a critical allergic response and might have speedy remedy in hospital.
These aren’t all of the unwanted side effects of promethazine. For a full listing, see the leaflet inside your medication packet.
6. Sut i ddelio â sgil-effeithiau diangen
What to do What’s:
- feeling sleepy through the daytime – this often wears off 12 hours after a dose. Don’t drive or use instruments or equipment if you happen to’re feeling this manner.
- nightmares – communicate to your pharmacist or physician if these don’t go away or are troubling you
- feeling dizzy or unsteady in your toes, or having problem concentrating – cease what you are doing and sit or lie down till you are feeling higher. If the sensation doesn’t go away or is troubling you, don’t take any extra medication and communicate to a pharmacist or your physician.
- complications – ensure you relaxation and drink loads of fluids. Speak to your physician if the complications last more than per week or are extreme.
7. Bod yn feichiog a bwydo ar y fron
- Your physician might need to prescribe promethazine for morning illness when different remedies haven’t labored.
- Pregnant ladies have taken promethazine with no dangerous results to the mom or child. However for security it is best to take it for the shortest potential time.
- For extra info What’s how promethazine can have an effect on you and your child throughout being pregnant, learn the leaflet What’s the finest use of medicines in being pregnant (BUMPS).
Promethazine and breastfeeding
- Promethazine passes into breast milk in small quantities. Speak to your physician, as different medicines is perhaps higher when you’re breastfeeding.
- It is often protected to take comparable antihistamines like loratadine or cetirizine when you’re breastfeeding.
- For those who want a drowsy antihistamine that will help you sleep, your physician might suggest chlorphenamine.
- However communicate to your physician earlier than taking any antihistamine in case your child was untimely, had a low start weight, or has well being issues.
Non-urgent recommendation: Inform your physician if you happen to’re:
- making an attempt to get pregnant
- bwydo ar y fron
8. Rhybuddion gyda gwahanol feddyginiaethau
Some medicines and promethazine intrude with one another and improve the possibility of getting unwanted side effects.
Inform your pharmacist or physician if you happen to’re taking:
- a kind of antidepressant known as a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, corresponding to phenelzine
- any medication that makes you drowsy, offers you a dry mouth, or makes it troublesome so that you can pee. Taking promethazine would possibly make these unwanted side effects worse.
For those who’re taking a cough or chilly treatment or a painkiller containing promethazine, test rigorously what the opposite elements are.
For instance, promethazine usually comes blended with paracetamol. For those who take 2 medicines that each comprise paracetamol, there is a threat of overdose. Ask your pharmacist for recommendation earlier than you’re taking this medication along with another painkillers or medicines.
Mixing promethazine with natural cures and dietary supplements
There is perhaps an issue taking some natural cures and dietary supplements alongside promethazine, particularly ones that trigger unwanted side effects corresponding to sleepiness, a dry mouth or making it troublesome to pee.
Ask your pharmacist for recommendation.
- Inform your physician or pharmacist if you happen to’re taking another medicines, together with natural medicines, nutritional vitamins or dietary supplements.
- Don’t take 2 antihistamines collectively except you might have been suggested to by your physician.
9. Widespread questions
- Contact dermatitis
- Hay fever
- Promethazine: boards
- Motion Towards Allergy: charity
- Allergy UK: charity
- Insomnia: movies of actual tales
- Itchy Sneezy Wheezy: web site for fogeys