1. What’s propranolol
Propranolol belongs to a gaggle of medicines known as beta blockers. It is used to deal with coronary heart issues, assist with anxiousness and stop migraines.
When you’ve got a coronary heart downside, you possibly can take propranolol to:
- deal with hypertension
- deal with sicknesses that trigger an irregular heartbeat, like atrial fibrillation
- stop future coronary heart illness, coronary heart assaults and strokes
- stop chest ache brought on by angina
Propranolol will help scale back your signs when you’ve got an excessive amount of thyroid hormone in your physique (thyrotoxicosis). You may often take it along with medicines to deal with an overactive thyroid. This medication is barely obtainable on prescription. It comes as tablets, capsules, or as a liquid to swallow.
2. Gwybodaeth allweddol
- Propranolol slows down your coronary heart charge and makes it simpler in your coronary heart to pump blood round your physique.
- It’s often prescribed for hypertension and different coronary heart issues, however it could actually additionally assist with the bodily indicators of hysteria, like sweating and shaking.
- Your very first dose of propranolol might make you are feeling dizzy, so take it at bedtime. After that, if you don’t really feel dizzy, you possibly can take it within the morning.
- The primary unwanted side effects of propranolol are feeling dizzy or drained, chilly palms or toes, difficulties sleeping and nightmares. These unwanted side effects are often gentle and brief lived.
3. Who can and can’t take propranolol
Propranolol will be taken by adults and kids. However it isn’t formally accepted for treating hypertension in youngsters below 12 years previous.
It isn’t appropriate for everybody. To verify it’s protected for you, inform your physician earlier than beginning propranolol when you’ve got:
- ever had an allergic response to propranolol or another medication
- low blood strain or a sluggish coronary heart charge
- coronary heart failure which is getting worse
- extreme blood circulation issues in your limbs (corresponding to Raynaud’s phenomenon), which can make your fingers and toes tingle or flip pale or blue
- metabolic acidosis – when there’s an excessive amount of acid in your blood
- lung illness or bronchial asthma
Inform your physician if you happen to’re making an attempt to get pregnant, are already pregnant or if you happen to’re breastfeeding.
4. How and when to take propranolol
Propranolol comes as 2 various kinds of medication:
- normal launch – releases propranolol into your physique shortly, chances are you’ll have to take it a number of instances a day relying in your dose
- sustained launch (SR) – this dissolves slowly so that you shouldn’t have to take it as usually, as soon as a day is often sufficient
In case you are taking it as soon as a day, your physician might advise you to take your first dose earlier than bedtime, as a result of it could actually make you are feeling dizzy. After the primary dose, if you don’t really feel dizzy, take propranolol within the morning.
Hold taking propranolol even if you happen to really feel effectively. You’ll nonetheless be getting the advantages of the medication.
How a lot you’re taking is determined by why you want propranolol. Doses for adults and kids over the age of 12 for:
- hypertension, the beginning dose is often 80mg twice a day. If this dose will not be working effectively sufficient (in case your blood strain doesn’t go down sufficient), your physician might improve it to a most of 160mg twice a day.
- migraine or angina (chest ache), the same old dose is 40mg taken 2 or 3 instances a day. This may be elevated to 120mg to 240mg a day. Your physician or pharmacist will clarify learn how to break up the dose over the day.
- irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia), the same old dose is 10mg to 40mg 3 or 4 instances a day.
- anxiousness, the same old dose is 40mg as soon as a day which will be elevated to 40mg 3 instances a day.
- an excessive amount of thyroid hormone (thyrotoxicosis), the dose is 10mg to 40mg taken 3 or 4 instances a day.
Doses are often decrease for the aged or individuals with a kidney or liver downside. In case your youngster is below 12 years previous they usually want propranolol, your physician will often use your kid’s weight to work out the proper dose.
Find out how to take it
Propranolol doesn’t often upset your tummy so you possibly can take it with or with out meals. It is best to do the identical every day.
Swallow the tablets complete with a drink of water. For those who discover them troublesome to swallow, some manufacturers have a rating line that will help you break the pill in half. Examine the data leaflet in your model to see if you are able to do this.
For those who’re taking propranolol as a liquid, it’s going to include a plastic syringe or spoon that will help you measure out the proper dose. For those who shouldn’t have one, ask your pharmacist for one. Don’t use a kitchen teaspoon because it won’t provide the correct amount of medication.
What if I neglect to take it?
For those who neglect to take a dose of propranolol, take it as quickly as you bear in mind, except it’s almost time in your subsequent dose. On this case, simply miss the missed dose and take your subsequent dose as regular.
By no means take 2 doses on the identical time. By no means take an additional dose to make up for a forgotten one.
For those who usually neglect doses, it could assist to set an alarm to remind you. You may additionally ask your pharmacist for recommendation on different methods that will help you bear in mind to take your medication.
What if I take an excessive amount of?
An overdose of propranolol can decelerate your coronary heart charge and make it troublesome to breathe. It will probably additionally trigger dizziness and trembling. The quantity of propranolol that may result in an overdose varies from individual to individual.
Pressing recommendation: Name 111 for recommendation now if:
- you’re taking an excessive amount of propranolol
- Name 111 or go to 111 on-line
- If you could go to hospital, don’t drive your self – get another person to drive you or name for an ambulance.
- Take the propranolol packet or leaflet inside it plus any remaining medication with you.
- Discover your nearest A&E.
5. Negative effects
Like all medicines, propranolol may cause unwanted side effects in some individuals however many individuals don’t have any unwanted side effects or solely minor ones. Negative effects usually enhance as your physique will get used to the medication.
Widespread unwanted side effects
These widespread unwanted side effects occur in additional than 1 in 100 individuals. They’re often gentle and brief lived.
Speak to your physician or pharmacist if the unwanted side effects hassle you or final quite a lot of days:
- feeling drained, dizzy or gentle headed (these will be indicators of a sluggish coronary heart charge)
- chilly fingers or toes (propranolol might have an effect on the blood provide to your palms and toes)
- difficulties sleeping or nightmares
- feeling sick (nausea)
Sgîl-effeithiau critigol diangen
It occurs hardly ever, however some individuals have critical unwanted side effects when taking propranolol.
Inform a health care provider right away when you’ve got:
- shortness of breath with a cough which will get worse whenever you train (like strolling up stairs), swollen ankles or legs, chest ache, or an irregular heartbeat – these are indicators of coronary heart issues
- shortness of breath, wheezing and tightening of your chest – these will be indicators of lung issues
- yellow pores and skin or the whites of your eyes flip yellow – these will be indicators of liver issues
Ymateb alergaidd critigol
In uncommon circumstances, propranolol might trigger a critical allergic response (anaphylaxis).
Speedy motion required:
- you get a pores and skin rash that will embrace itchy, pink, swollen, blistered or peeling pores and skin
- rydych chi'n gwichian
- rydych chi'n mynd yn dynn yn y frest neu'r gwddf
- you might have hassle respiration or speaking
- eich ceg, wyneb, gwefusau, tafod neu wddf yn dechrau chwyddo
You may be having a critical allergic response and might have speedy remedy in hospital. These aren’t all of the unwanted side effects of propranolol. For a full listing, see the leaflet inside your medication packet.
6. How to deal with unwanted side effects of propranolol
What to do What’s:
- feeling drained, dizzy or light-headed – as your physique will get used to propranolol, these unwanted side effects ought to put on off. If propranolol makes you are feeling dizzy, sit or lie down till you are feeling higher. Attempt to keep away from alcohol as it’s going to make you are feeling worse.
- chilly fingers or toes – put your palms or toes below heat working water, therapeutic massage them and wiggle your fingers and toes. Don’t smoke or have drinks with caffeine in – this may make your blood vessels narrower and additional prohibit blood circulation to your palms and toes. Strive sporting mittens (they’re hotter than gloves) and heat socks. Don’t put on tight watches or bracelets.
- difficulties sleeping or nightmares – attempt taking your propranolol within the morning. If you must take it greater than as soon as a day, communicate to your physician. They can change your propranolol to the sluggish launch type.
- feeling sick (nausea) – persist with easy meals and don’t eat wealthy or spicy meals. It’d assist to take your propranolol after a meal or snack.
7. Bod yn feichiog a bwydo ar y fron
Propranolol and being pregnant
Propranolol will not be regarded as dangerous throughout being pregnant, however it isn’t potential to make sure. For those who’re making an attempt to get pregnant otherwise you’re already pregnant, speak to your physician What’s the advantages and potential harms of taking propranolol. There could also be different medicines which can be safer for you.
Propranolol and breastfeeding
It’s often protected to take propranolol if you happen to’re breastfeeding. It’s because solely small quantities get into breast milk, which isn’t sufficient to trigger any issues to your child.
Nonetheless, communicate to your physician earlier than taking propranolol in case your child was untimely or has any well being issues.
Non-urgent recommendation: Inform your physician if you happen to’re:
- making an attempt to get pregnant
- bwydo ar y fron
For extra info What’s how propranolol can have an effect on you and your child throughout being pregnant, go to the Finest Use of Medicines in Being pregnant (BUMPs) web site.
8. Rhybuddion gyda gwahanol feddyginiaethau
There are some medicines that will intrude with the way in which propranolol works.
Inform your physician if you happen to’re taking:
- different medicines for hypertension. The mixture with propranolol can generally decrease your blood strain an excessive amount of. This will make you are feeling dizzy or faint. If this retains taking place to you, inform your physician – they could change your dose.
- different medicines for an irregular heartbeat corresponding to amiodarone or flecainide
- different medicines which may decrease your blood strain. These embrace some antidepressants, nitrates (for chest ache), baclofen (a muscle relaxant), medicines for an enlarged prostate gland like tamsulosin, or Parkinson’s illness medicines corresponding to levodopa.
- bronchial asthma or continual obstructive pulmonary illness (COPD) medicines
- diabetes medicines, significantly insulin – propranolol might make it harder to recognise the warning indicators of low blood sugar. Communicate to your physician when you’ve got low blood sugar ranges with out getting any of the same old warning indicators. You must test your blood sugar after train, and comply with regular recommendation What’s checking it earlier than driving, or working equipment.
- medicines to deal with nostril or sinus congestion, or different chilly cures (together with these you should buy within the pharmacy)
- medicines for allergy symptoms, corresponding to ephedrine, noradrenaline or adrenaline
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (NSAIDs), corresponding to ibuprofen, diclofenac and naproxen. These medicines might improve your blood strain, so it is best to maintain them to a minimal.
Mixing propranolol with natural cures or dietary supplements
There’s little or no info What’s taking natural cures and dietary supplements with propranolol.
Inform your physician or pharmacist if you happen to’re taking another medicines, together with natural medicines, nutritional vitamins or dietary supplements.
9. Widespread questions What’s propranolol
- Anxiousness, concern and panic
- Coronary heart assault
- Coronary heart failure
- Hypertension (hypertension)
- HealthUnlocked: propranolol discussion board
- Anxiousness UK: charity
- Blood Strain UK: charity
- Migraine Motion: charity
- Healthtalk: actual tales of coronary heart assaults
- Well being Examine: free well being check-up