1. What’s atenolol
- Atenolol belongs to a gaggle of medicines known as beta blockers.
- It is used to deal with hypertension and irregular heartbeats (arrhythmia).
- It may also be used to stop chest ache brought on by angina.
- When you’ve got hypertension, taking atenolol helps stop future coronary heart illness, coronary heart assaults and strokes.
- Atenolol is typically prescribed to stop migraines and assist with anxiousness. However it’s not formally accepted to deal with these circumstances.
- This medication is barely obtainable on prescription.
- It comes as tablets or as a liquid that you simply swallow. It may also be given as an injection, however that is often executed in hospital.
- Atenolol slows down your coronary heart charge and makes it simpler in your coronary heart to pump blood round your physique.
- It will probably make you are feeling dizzy, sick or drained, or offer you constipation or diarrhoea. These unwanted side effects are often gentle and short-lived.
- Your very first dose of atenolol might make you are feeling dizzy, so take it at bedtime. After that, if you don’t really feel dizzy, you possibly can take it within the morning.
- Don’t cease taking atenolol immediately, particularly when you’ve got coronary heart illness. This may make your situation worse.
- Atenolol is thought by the model title Tenormin. Different model names embrace Tenif (for atenolol blended with nifedipine) and Co-tenidone (atenolol blended with chlortalidone).
3. Who can and can’t take atenolol
Atenolol will be taken by adults. It is generally additionally prescribed for infants and kids.
It isn’t appropriate for everybody. To verify it is protected for you, inform your physician earlier than beginning atenolol when you’ve got:
- had an allergic response to atenolol or another medication prior to now
- low blood strain or a sluggish coronary heart charge
- critical blood circulation issues in your limbs (corresponding to Raynaud’s phenomenon), which can make your fingers and toes tingle or flip pale or blue
- metabolic acidosis – when there’s an excessive amount of acid in your blood
- lung illness or bronchial asthma
Inform your physician if you happen to’re making an attempt to get pregnant, are already pregnant or breastfeeding.
4. Wie und wann es einzunehmen ist
- You may often take atenolol a few times a day.
- Once you begin taking atenolol, your physician might advise you to take your first dose earlier than bedtime as a result of it could actually make you are feeling dizzy.
- After the primary dose, if you don’t really feel dizzy, you possibly can take your medication within the morning.
- For those who’re taking atenolol twice a day, you may often have 1 dose within the morning and 1 dose within the night.
- It is a good suggestion to go away 10 to 12 hours between doses if you happen to can.
- Don’t cease taking atenolol immediately, particularly when you’ve got coronary heart illness. This may make your situation worse.
- If you wish to cease taking your medication, communicate to your physician. They might really helpful lowering your dose regularly over a couple of weeks.
How a lot you’re taking is determined by why you want atenolol.
For hypertension – the same old dose is 25mg to 50mg taken as soon as a day.
For angina (chest ache) – the same old dose is 100mg taken as soon as a day, or break up into 2 50mg doses.
For irregular heartbeats (arrhythmia) – the same old dose is 50mg to 100mg taken as soon as a day.
For migraine – the same old dose is 25mg to 100mg taken twice a day. Medical doctors generally prescribe atenolol for migraine, however it’s not formally accepted for stopping it.
For youngsters taking atenolol, your kid’s physician will work out the proper dose by utilizing their weight and age.
Find out how to take it
- Atenolol doesn’t often upset your tummy, so you possibly can take it with or with out meals. It is best to do the identical every day.
- Swallow the tablets complete with a drink of water.
- For those who discover them troublesome to swallow, some manufacturers have a rating line that will help you break the pill in half. Examine the data leaflet in your model to see if you are able to do this.
- For those who’re taking atenolol as a liquid, it’s going to include a plastic syringe or spoon that will help you measure out the proper dose.
- For those who shouldn’t have one, ask your pharmacist for one. Don’t use a kitchen teaspoon because it won’t provide the correct amount of medication.
What if I neglect to take it?
For those who neglect to take a dose of atenolol, take it as quickly as you bear in mind, except it is almost time in your subsequent dose. On this case, simply miss the missed dose and take your subsequent dose as regular.
By no means take 2 doses on the identical time. Don’t take an additional dose to make up for a forgotten one. For those who usually neglect doses, it could assist to set an alarm to remind you.
You may additionally ask your pharmacist for recommendation on different methods that will help you bear in mind to take your medication.
Was ist, wenn ich zu viel einnehme?
The quantity of atenolol that may result in an overdose varies from individual to individual.
For those who take greater than the prescribed dose, your coronary heart charge might decelerate and chances are you’ll discover it troublesome to breathe. It will probably additionally trigger dizziness and trembling.
Pressing recommendation: Name your physician or go to A&E now if:
- you’re taking an excessive amount of atenolol
If you could go to hospital, don’t drive your self. Get another person to drive you or name for an ambulance. Take the atenolol packet or leaflet inside it, plus any remaining medication, with you.
Discover your nearest A&E
5. Negative effects
Like all medicines, atenolol may cause unwanted side effects in some individuals, however many individuals don’t have any unwanted side effects or solely minor ones.
Negative effects usually enhance as your physique will get used to the medication.
Widespread unwanted side effects
These widespread unwanted side effects occur in additional than 1 in 100 individuals. They’re often gentle and short-lived.
Speak to your physician or pharmacist if these unwanted side effects hassle you or final quite a lot of days:
- feeling sleepy, drained or dizzy
- chilly fingers or toes
- feeling sick (nausea)
Kritische unerwünschte Nebenwirkungen
It occurs hardly ever, however some individuals have critical unwanted side effects when taking atenolol.
Inform a health care provider right away when you’ve got:
- shortness of breath with a cough that will get worse whenever you train (like strolling up stairs), swollen ankles or legs, chest ache, or an irregular heartbeat – these will be indicators of coronary heart issues
- hassle respiration, chilly sweats and sudden, sharp chest ache that will get worse whenever you cough or take deep breaths – these will be indicators of lung issues
- a quick coronary heart charge, a excessive temperature, trembling and confusion – these will be indicators of a thyroid downside
Kritische allergische Reaktion
In uncommon circumstances, atenolol might trigger a critical allergic response (anaphylaxis).
Speedy motion required:
- you get a pores and skin rash that will embrace itchy, pink, swollen, blistered or peeling pores and skin
- du keuchst
- Sie bekommen Engegefühl in der Brust oder im Hals
- you might have hassle respiration or speaking
- Ihr Mund, Gesicht, Lippen, Zunge oder Rachen beginnen anzuschwellen
You may be having a critical allergic response and might have speedy remedy in hospital.
These aren’t all of the unwanted side effects of atenolol. For a full listing, see the leaflet inside your medication packet.
6. Umgang mit unerwünschten Nebenwirkungen
What to do What’s:
- feeling sleepy, drained or dizzy – as your physique will get used to atenolol, these unwanted side effects ought to put on off. If atenolol makes you are feeling dizzy, sit or lie down till you are feeling higher. Don’t drive or function equipment till you are feeling OK once more. Attempt to keep away from alcohol as it will make you are feeling worse.
- chilly fingers or toes – put your palms or toes below heat working water, therapeutic massage them and wiggle your fingers and toes. Don’t smoke or have drinks with caffeine in – this may make your blood vessels narrower and additional prohibit blood circulation to your palms and toes. Strive sporting mittens (they’re hotter than gloves) and heat socks. Don’t put on tight watches or bracelets.
- feeling sick (nausea) – persist with easy meals and don’t eat wealthy or spicy meals. It’d assist to take your atenolol after a meal or snack.
- diarrhoea – drink plenty of fluids, corresponding to water or squash, to keep away from dehydration. Indicators of dehydration embrace peeing lower than regular or having darkish, strong-smelling pee. Don’t take another medicines to deal with diarrhoea with out chatting with a pharmacist or physician.
- constipation – eat extra high-fibre meals, corresponding to recent fruit, greens and cereals, and drink loads of water. Attempt to train extra frequently by going for a each day stroll, for instance. If this doesn’t assist, speak to your pharmacist or physician. Watch this brief video What’s learn how to deal with constipation
7. Schwanger sein und stillen
- Atenolol will not be often really helpful in being pregnant.
- For those who’re making an attempt to get pregnant or already pregnant, speak to your physician What’s the advantages and potential harms of taking atenolol.
- There could also be different medicines which can be safer for you. Labetalol is the same medication that is usually really helpful for hypertension in being pregnant.
- For extra info What’s how atenolol can have an effect on you and your child throughout being pregnant, go to the finest use of medicines in being pregnant (BUMPS) web site.
Atenolol and breastfeeding
In case your physician or well being customer says that your child’s wholesome, it is OK to take atenolol whereas breastfeeding. Atenolol passes into breast milk in small quantities, and it is unlikely to trigger any unwanted side effects in your child.
It is vital to deal with your hypertension to maintain you effectively. Breastfeeding may even profit each you and your child. In case your child’s not feeding in addition to regular or appears unusually sleepy, or you might have another issues What’s them, speak to your physician or well being customer.
They might suggest a unique medication in your blood strain.
Non-urgent recommendation: Inform your physician if you happen to’re:
- making an attempt to get pregnant
8. Vorsicht bei verschiedenen Medikamenten
There are some medicines that will intrude with the way in which atenolol works.
Inform your physician if you happen to’re taking:
- different medicines for hypertension – the mixture with atenolol can generally decrease your blood strain an excessive amount of, which can make you are feeling dizzy or faint; inform your physician if this retains taking place to you, as they could change your dose
- different medicines for an irregular heartbeat, corresponding to amiodarone or flecainide
- medicines for bronchial asthma or continual obstructive pulmonary illness (COPD)
- medicines for diabetes, significantly insulin – atenolol might make it harder to recognise the warning indicators of low blood sugar; communicate to your physician when you’ve got low blood sugar ranges with out getting any of the same old warning indicators (you need to test your blood sugar after train and comply with the same old recommendation What’s checking it earlier than driving or working equipment)
- medicines to deal with nostril or sinus congestion, or different chilly cures (together with these you should buy in a pharmacy)
- medicines for allergy symptoms, corresponding to ephedrine, noradrenaline or adrenaline
Mixing atenolol with natural cures or dietary supplements
There’s little or no info What’s taking natural cures and dietary supplements with atenolol.
Inform your physician or pharmacist if you happen to’re taking another medicines, together with natural medicines, nutritional vitamins or dietary supplements.
9. Widespread questions
How does atenolol work?
Atenolol is a kind of medication known as a beta blocker. Like different beta blockers, atenolol works by altering the way in which your physique responds to some nerve impulses, together with within the coronary heart.
It slows down your coronary heart charge and makes it simpler in your coronary heart to pump blood round your physique. We don't totally perceive how atenolol prevents migraines.
It might work by stress-free the blood vessels concerned or by lowering exercise within the visible cortex. That is the a part of the mind the place migraines are believed to begin.
How lengthy does atenolol take to work?
Atenolol begins to work after What's 3 hours to scale back hypertension, however it could actually take as much as 2 weeks to succeed in its full impact.
Chances are you'll not really feel any totally different whenever you take atenolol for hypertension, however this doesn't imply it isn't working. It is vital to maintain taking your medication. For migraines, it could take a number of weeks for atenolol to begin making an actual distinction, so maintain taking it.
How lengthy will I take it for?
This is determined by why you take atenolol.
For coronary heart circumstances or hypertension – remedy is often long run and could also be for the remainder of your life.
For migraines – remedy can final for a number of months or years, relying on how dangerous your signs are.
Is it protected to take for a very long time?
Atenolol is usually protected to take for a very long time. For those who're taking it for a coronary heart situation or to stop migraines, it really works finest whenever you take it long run. You may have to have your blood strain checked frequently if you happen to're taking atenolol for a very long time for migraines.
What's going to occur if I cease taking it?
Speak to your physician if you wish to cease taking atenolol. Stopping atenolol immediately might make your well being downside worse. For those who're bothered by unwanted side effects, your physician might be able to prescribe a unique medication as a substitute.
For those who cease taking atenolol, it's going to take What's 1 to 2 days for it to be utterly out of your physique.
How does atenolol evaluate with different coronary heart medicines?
Atenolol works in addition to different beta blockers for lowering blood strain. However it's much less more likely to trigger unwanted side effects as a result of it works primarily on the guts.
Different beta blockers, like propranolol, work in your coronary heart and have an effect on different components of your physique, too. There are many different medicines to decrease your blood strain and deal with chest ache.
They work differently from beta blockers and embrace:
-ACE inhibitors – for instance, ramipril and lisinopril
-angiotensin receptor blockers – for instance, candesartan
-calcium channel blockers – for instance, amlodipine
-diuretics (medicines that make you pee extra) – for instance, furosemide
Beta blockers aren't often the primary selection remedy for hypertension. The drugs your physician prescribes is determined by your age and ethnicity. For those who're below 55, you may often be provided an ACE inhibitor or an angiotensin receptor blocker.
For those who're 55 or older, otherwise you're any age and of African Caribbean or black African origin, you may often be provided a calcium channel blocker. Typically you might have to attempt different blood pressure-lowering medicines if you happen to get unwanted side effects. Many individuals have to take a mixture of various blood pressure-lowering tablets.
How does it evaluate with different medicines for stopping migraine?
Atenolol, metoprolol, propranolol and nadolol are all beta blockers, they usually work effectively in stopping migraines. However most docs prescribe propranolol. There are another medicines which can be identified to stop migraines, however they are not formally accepted within the UK.
They embrace amitriptyline, sodium valproate and gabapentin, and will have totally different unwanted side effects. Topiramate may also be used to stop migraines. However topiramate has not been formally accepted for migraine for kids below the age of 16. Ask your physician or pharmacist which medication is finest for you.
Will I have to cease atenolol earlier than surgical procedure?
Inform your physician that you are taking atenolol if you are going to be put to sleep (utilizing normal anaesthetic) otherwise you're having any form of main operation.
Your physician might advise you to cease taking atenolol for twenty-four hours earlier than surgical procedure. It's because atenolol can decrease your blood strain an excessive amount of when it is mixed with some anaesthetics.
Kann ich damit Alkohol trinken?
Ingesting alcohol can improve the blood pressure-lowering impact of atenolol, which may make you are feeling dizzy or lightheaded. In the course of the first few days of taking atenolol or after a rise in your dose, it is best to cease consuming alcohol till you see how the medication impacts you.
For those who discover atenolol makes you are feeling dizzy, it is best to cease consuming alcohol.
Is there any meals or drink I have to keep away from?
You possibly can eat and drink usually whereas taking atenolol. Consuming a wholesome, balanced weight loss plan will help when you've got hypertension or one other coronary heart situation.
Wird es einen Einfluss auf meine Empfängnisverhütung haben?
Atenolol won't cease your contraception working. However some kinds of hormonal strategies of contraception, just like the mixed capsule and contraceptive patch, aren't often really helpful for ladies with hypertension. Speak to your physician if you happen to're taking a hormonal contraceptive.
Wird es einen Einfluss auf meine Fruchtbarkeit haben?
It is unlikely that atenolol impacts fertility in males or ladies. However there's not sufficient proof to say for sure. For those who're making an attempt for a child or having issues getting pregnant whereas on atenolol, communicate to your physician.
Will it have an effect on my intercourse life?
Some individuals on atenolol say their intercourse drive goes down, and a few males discover they can't get an erection. However this isn't a standard facet impact and there is not sufficient proof to say for certain that atenolol is inflicting it. For those who're having issues along with your intercourse life, speak to your physician.
Do I have to keep away from taking part in sports activities?
You do not want to cease taking part in sports activities if you happen to take atenolol. However don't push your self an excessive amount of. Common train is sweet for you as a result of it lowers blood strain by protecting your coronary heart and blood vessels in good situation.
Remember, although, that in some sports activities atenolol will not be allowed if you happen to're competing at a excessive degree.
Can I drive or trip a motorbike?
Atenolol could make some individuals really feel dizzy, particularly whenever you first begin taking it or after taking a much bigger dose. If this occurs to you, don't drive a automotive, trip a motorbike, or use instruments or equipment till you are feeling higher.
Can life-style modifications assist with hypertension?
When you've got coronary heart issues, you possibly can enhance the well being of your coronary heart by making some key life-style modifications. These may even assist when you've got hypertension.
Stop smoking – smoking will increase your coronary heart charge and blood strain. Quitting smoking brings down your blood strain and relieves coronary heart failure signs. Attempt to keep away from secondhand smoke.
Minimize down on alcohol – consuming alcohol when you're taking atenolol could make you are feeling dizzy or lightheaded. Additionally, consuming an excessive amount of alcohol raises blood strain over time and makes coronary heart failure worse. Women and men shouldn't drink greater than 14 items of alcohol per week. A regular glass of wine (175ml) is 2 items. A pint of lager or beer is often 2 to three items of alcohol.
Train – common train lowers blood strain by protecting your coronary heart and blood vessels in good situation. It doesn't should be too energetic: strolling daily will assist.
Eat effectively – purpose to eat a weight loss plan that features loads of fruit and veg, wholegrains, fat-free or low-fat dairy merchandise and lean proteins. It is a good suggestion to reduce down on salt, too. Consuming an excessive amount of salt is the most important reason behind hypertension. The extra salt you eat, the upper your blood strain shall be. Goal for not more than 6g of salt a day.
Cope with stress – whenever you're anxious or upset, your coronary heart beats quicker, you breathe extra closely and your blood strain usually goes up. This may make coronary heart failure worse, too. Discover methods to scale back stress in your life. To present your coronary heart a relaxation, attempt napping or placing your toes up when potential. Spend time with family and friends to be social and assist keep away from stress.
Can life-style modifications assist with migraines?
There are a selection of issues you are able to do to assist stop migraines. This contains figuring out what issues set off an assault so you possibly can keep away from them. Preserving a migraine diary might aid you do that.
- Coronary heart assault
- Coronary heart failure
- Hypertension (hypertension)
- Atenolol: boards
- Blood Strain UK: charity
- Coronary heart assault: movies of actual tales
- Migraine Motion: charity
- NHS Well being Examine: free well being check-up