1. What’s montelukast
Montelukast is used to stop the signs of bronchial asthma. It is often prescribed when bronchial asthma is gentle and might cease it from getting worse.
It will probably additionally assist individuals with bronchial asthma who’ve respiration difficulties once they train (exercise-induced bronchial asthma) and seasonal allergy symptoms, corresponding to sneezing, itchiness and a blocked or runny nostril (allergic rhinitis).
Montelukast is typically given to individuals with out bronchial asthma to deal with hives (urticaria) that final for a very long time (greater than 6 weeks).
Don’t use montelukast to deal with an bronchial asthma assault. At all times use your reliever inhaler.
- Montelukast helps cease your airways from narrowing (brought on by irritation). This makes respiration simpler and prevents bronchial asthma assaults.
- Most individuals take montelukast as soon as a day within the night.
- For those who take it for bronchial asthma, it is vital to take it even when you don’t have any signs.
- Montelukast is used alongside your inhalers or different bronchial asthma medication.
- Some widespread unwanted side effects embrace complications and feeling or being sick.
3. Who can and can’t take montelukast
Montelukast will be taken by adults and kids from 6 months of age. Montelukast will not be appropriate for individuals with sure well being issues.
Examine along with your physician earlier than taking montelukast if:
- you might have had an allergic response to montelukast or another medication prior to now
- you might have a uncommon hereditary downside of galactose intolerance (together with Lapp lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption)
4. Wie und wann es einzunehmen ist
At all times comply with your physician’s directions What’s how and when to take montelukast.
Most individuals take montelukast as soon as a day within the night to stop bronchial asthma or allergy signs. Nonetheless, if train makes your bronchial asthma worse, your physician would possibly let you know to take montelukast 2 hours earlier than you train. By no means take greater than 1 dose a day.
The standard dose for:
- adults and kids aged 15 years and older – one 10mg pill
- youngsters aged 6 to 14 years – one 5mg chewable pill
- youngsters from 6 months previous to five years – 4mg (this may be granules or as a chewable pill)
Find out how to take non-chewable tablets
You possibly can take montelukast non-chewable tablets with or with out meals
Swallow tablets complete with water, juice or milk. Don’t chew these tablets.
Find out how to take chewable tablets
It is vital to take chewable tablets a minimum of 1 hour earlier than meals, or 2 hours after meals. That is so the medication is absorbed into your physique correctly.
Chewable tablets will be chewed or sucked. You or your youngster can have a drink of water or squash afterwards.
Find out how to give granules to a baby
Montelukast granules are available a sachet with 4mg of granules inside (one dose). They are often put immediately in your kid’s tongue. You may also combine the granules with a spoonful of chilly, tender meals, corresponding to yoghurt or ice-cream.
Be sure that your youngster takes the entire dose instantly (or inside quarter-hour). It is vital to not dissolve the granules in a drink. You can provide your youngster a drink afterwards.
What if I neglect to take it?
For those who or your youngster misses a dose of montelukast, skip the missed dose and take your subsequent dose the next day on the regular time.
Don’t take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
For those who neglect doses usually, it could assist to set an alarm to remind you. You may additionally ask a pharmacist for recommendation on different methods that will help you bear in mind to take your medication.
Was ist, wenn ich zu viel einnehme?
Pressing recommendation: Name 111 for recommendation if:
- you’re taking an excessive amount of montelukast
For those who want recommendation for a kid below the age of 5 years, name 111.
If you could go to hospital, don’t drive your self. Get another person to drive you or name for an ambulance. Discover your nearest A&E.
Take the montelukast packet or leaflet inside it plus any remaining medication with you.
5. Negative effects
Like all medicines, montelukast may cause unwanted side effects, though not everybody will get them.
Widespread unwanted side effects
These unwanted side effects can have an effect on greater than 1 in 100 individuals.
Speak to a pharmacist or physician if these unwanted side effects hassle you or don’t go away:
- excessive temperature
- abdomen ache, feeling or being sick (nausea or vomiting)
- a light rash
Kritische unerwünschte Nebenwirkungen
Contact a health care provider instantly if:
- you discover temper modifications and also you grow to be depressed, aggressive otherwise you’re considering of harming your self
- you see issues which aren’t there (hallucinations)
- you are discovering it more durable than regular to pay attention or bear in mind issues
- your speech modifications otherwise you begin stuttering
- you might have shaking or trembling in any a part of your physique
- you might have an uncommon or quick heartbeat
- you get yellow pores and skin or the whites of your eyes grow to be yellow – this might be an indication of liver issues
Kritische allergische Reaktion
It’s potential to have a critical allergic response (anaphylaxis) to montelukast.
Speedy motion required: Name 999 or go to A&E if:
- you get a pores and skin rash that will embrace itchy, pink, swollen, blistered or peeling pores and skin
- du keuchst
- Sie bekommen Engegefühl in der Brust oder im Hals
- you might have hassle respiration or speaking
- Ihr Mund, Gesicht, Lippen, Zunge oder Rachen beginnen anzuschwellen
You may be having a critical allergic response and might have speedy remedy in hospital. These aren’t all of the unwanted side effects of montelukast. For a full listing see the leaflet inside your medicines packet.
6. Umgang mit unerwünschten Nebenwirkungen
What to do What’s:
- diarrhoea – drink loads of fluids, corresponding to water or squash to stop dehydration. Indicators of dehydration embrace peeing lower than regular or having darkish, strong-smelling pee. Don’t take any medicines to deal with diarrhoea with out chatting with a pharmacist or physician.
- excessive temperature – paracetamol will assist to deliver the temperature down. Drink loads of fluids. See your physician if it lasts for quite a lot of days.
- Komplikationen – ensure you relaxation and drink loads of fluids. Don’t drink an excessive amount of alcohol. Ask your pharmacist to suggest a painkiller. Complications ought to often go away after the primary week of taking montelukast. Speak to your physician if complications last more than per week or are extreme.
- abdomen ache, feeling or being sick – persist with easy meals and don’t eat wealthy or spicy meals. For those who’re being sick, attempt having small, frequent sips of water or squash to keep away from dehydration. Don’t take another medicines to deal with vomiting with out chatting with a pharmacist or physician. Placing a warmth pad or coated sizzling water bottle in your abdomen might also assist
- a light rash – it could assist to take an antihistamine, which you should buy from a pharmacy. Examine with the pharmacist to see what kind is best for you. If the rash will get worse, or doesn’t get higher after per week, communicate to your physician.
7. Schwanger sein und stillen
Montelukast and being pregnant
- It is vital for you and your child to remain effectively whenever you’re pregnant. If montelukast stops your bronchial asthma getting worse, you possibly can maintain taking it, even if you end up pregnant.
- The dangers of getting critical bronchial asthma assaults throughout being pregnant are a lot worse than the dangers of utilizing montelukast. Bronchial asthma assaults can stop your unborn child from getting sufficient oxygen.
- Communicate to your physician if you happen to grow to be pregnant when you are taking montelukast.
Montelukast and breastfeeding
- In case your physician or well being customer says your child is wholesome, you possibly can take montelukast when you’re breastfeeding.
- Montelukast passes into breast milk in small quantities. The advantages of the medication are higher than the small threat of unwanted side effects in your child.
- For those who discover that your child will not be feeding in addition to regular, appears unusually sleep, or when you’ve got another issues What’s your child, speak to a well being customer or physician instantly.
- Discover out extra What’s how montelukast can have an effect on you and your child throughout being pregnant on the Finest Use of Medicines in Being pregnant (BUMPS) web site.
Non-urgent recommendation: Inform a pharmacist or physician if you happen to’re:
- making an attempt to get pregnant
8. Vorsicht bei verschiedenen Medikamenten
Inform your physician if you’re taking any of the next medicines:
- epilepsy medicines corresponding to phenobarbital and phenytoin
- rifampicin (for tuberculosis)
- gemfibrozil (for high-cholesterol)
It is often protected to take on a regular basis painkillers with montelukast. Nonetheless, don’t take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine (NSAIDs) corresponding to aspirin or ibuprofen if they’ve ever made your bronchial asthma signs worse.
Mixing montelukast with natural cures and dietary supplements
There’s little or no info What’s taking natural medicines and dietary supplements with montelukast. Ask a pharmacist for recommendation.
Inform your physician or pharmacist if you happen to’re taking another medicines, together with natural cures, nutritional vitamins or dietary supplements.
9. Widespread questions
- How does montelukast work?
Montelukast is from a gaggle of medicines known as leukotriene receptor antagonists (LTRAs). LTRAs work by stopping the chemical substances in your physique that slender your airways. These chemical substances are known as leukotrienes.
Montelukast helps cease your airways from narrowing (brought on by irritation). This makes respiration simpler and prevents bronchial asthma assaults.
Leukotrienes are additionally launched in your physique when you might have an allergic response to one thing like mud or pollen and whenever you train. Montelukast helps to scale back the extent of leukotrienes and stops you getting signs.
- How lengthy does it take to work?
Montelukast begins to work instantly to scale back leukotriene ranges in your physique (which make your signs worse). Nonetheless, it could take round per week earlier than it reaches its full impact.
For those who're taking montelukast to stop exercise-induced bronchial asthma, take it 2 hours earlier than you train. This can imply that the degrees of medication in your physique is highest whenever you begin exercising.
- How lengthy will I take it for?
Take montelukast for so long as your physician recommends it. It would solely maintain working when you are taking it.
- Can I take montelukast for a very long time?
Sure. There is no proof to recommend that taking montelukast will trigger any issues if taken for a very long time.
- Are there different medicines for bronchial asthma?
Montelukast is one medication used to stop bronchial asthma signs. Most individuals with bronchial asthma shall be given an inhaler (corresponding to beclomethasone or fluticasone). Montelukast could also be given as an additional medication in case your physician thinks you want it.
Different medicines which can assist stop bronchial asthma assaults are inhalers like salmeterol or sodium cromoglycate, or medicines like theophylline.
- Kann ich damit Alkohol trinken?
Sure, you possibly can drink alcohol whereas taking montelukast.
- Do I have to keep away from any meals or drinks?
You do not want to keep away from any meals or drink whereas taking montelukast.
- Wird es einen Einfluss auf meine Empfängnisverhütung haben?
Montelukast doesn't have an effect on any kind of contraception together with the mixed capsule and emergency contraception. Learn extra What's what to do if you happen to're taking the capsule and also you're being sick or have diarrhoea.
- Wird es einen Einfluss auf meine Fruchtbarkeit haben?
There isn't a agency proof to recommend that taking montelukast will scale back fertility in both males or ladies
- Can I drive or trip a motorbike?
Montelukast doesn't often trigger any issues with driving or using a motorbike. Don't drive a automotive or trip a motorbike if montelukast makes you see issues which aren't there (hallucinate), if you happen to get shaking or tremors in any a part of your physique otherwise you're unable to pay attention or make choices. It is your duty to resolve if it is protected to drive. For those who're in any doubt, don't drive.
- Bronchial asthma
- Bronchial asthma assaults
- Allergic rhinitis
- HealthUnlocked: montelukast discussion board
- Bronchial asthma UK: charity